2 down. That’s days not walkers!


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bohinj
August 8th 2023
Published: August 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Wow! Bohinj is breathtakingly beautiful. It is also breathtaking getting here. Officially described as moderate the walk is tough and upon reaching the sort of final destination our hotel was a further 2km away. Probably worse mentally than physically but… The receptionist at the hotel was suitably impressed that we had walked so far and still looked human enough to allow in. She was very quick to point out that our booking included time in the wellness and spa centre. Unfortunately there no knee transplant facility here which is something that may assist.

Anyway getting here. The route is well signed although the app that comes with the Juliana Trail is also super useful. Bluey and Bingo were right when they told ‘grandpa’ that ‘there’s an app for that’. The signs are on posts, pillars, pylons, trees, fences, walls, stones and really just about anything that doesn’t move. Often we, Juliana Trail walkers, share with other trails, but the system works well. The Juliana Trail is even signed in stages so seeing a stage 7 threw us a bit as today is stage 6 officially but w for us as we started in Bled which is not the official start. That means at some time we will walk stage 16 then commence stage 1 the next day. I’ll try and give some idea of the track conditions today. We’ve walked the range of surfaces. There’s road walking, track walking, trail walking, there’s rocky terrain (well lots of rocky terrain really), there’s always uphill and downhill, there’s grassy meadows (very attractive) and everything in between.

There was a serious downhill section characterized by rocks, rocks and more rocks which was very difficult for us and it was made even more difficult by the recent flooding. The rocks were slippery as water is still flowing freely here despite it not raining for a couple of days, the subsurface has been washed away and the rocks are loose and move easily. I’d estimate it took us an hour to walk just under 2 km and 2 km was all downhill! Not many photos of this phase as really we were concentrating so hard we didn’t even think of stopping for photos.
Walked to and through the officials end of stage 6 down to Lake Bohinj and to our hotel. It’s one of those eclectic places, full of wood and even the seats are on pretend wooden skies. Very nice and really too good for us as things are super expensive. All that means is we have to go somewhere else for evening meal. But first our appointment at the wellness centre is in 10 minutes, so I’ll post and say caio (not in that order).


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb