Bled Slovenia


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
July 29th 2014
Published: July 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We said Good byes to our nice friendly Pension Hosts. They gave us as souvenir a cd with beautiful Croatian music of yester years. Again the scenery is spectacular driving travelling towards Slovenia, destination Bled. It is a city with a little island in the middle of the lake. We learned that it is just a church that is to see on the island, so instead we decided to see the Bled castle that is 120 metres above the lake. It was a very steep climb over gravel and boulders to get to the entrance of the castle. We did not know that you could also reach it by car. Oh well, good exercise. The first written document was in 1011 when it was handed over by the German King Henry the second, to the bishops of Brixen. Of course over times it changed many times with the result that different styles of Architectures can be noticed. The museum has articles going back to the stone and bronze ages and all of it was found around Bled. There is also an old printing press, the first Bible of this region was printed on it. There was a wine cellar manned by a Franciscan Monk, who was a real character. He was complaining he worked for 9 days a week, because his of sider was on holidays. On his phone was this picture of his off sider standing at Ayers rock. There was no extra cost once you are inside the castle. The views from the castle are spectacular, pity about the many tourists that are there that makes making nice pictures virtually impossible. We finished the afternoon emptying a bottle of rose and some very nice prosciutto , sitting on the balcony enjoying the views of Bled. Next day we visited the church, that has let us know of it's existence through the loud bells that sounds all over Bled. It is a very nice church really even from there the views it gives are astonishing. We will be leaving Slovenia and move to Italy tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb