Days 13 and 14 across Austria and back to Bled


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia » Upper Carniola » Bled
August 6th 2023
Published: August 6th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Days 13 and 14. Yesterday was a move across Austria from the middle of nowhere to less the middle of nowhere. In the pouring rain we set off around winding, hilly and very wet roads eventually ending up in Eben am pongau (still no pinging). The plan had been to go to a nearby swimming lake but given the fourteen degree, pouring rain with chances of thunder weather, an outdoor swimming lake seemed.... unappealing. We'd found a huge indoor pool complex but hadn't really appreciated that everyone within a hundred mile radius on a wet Saturday had found the same thing..... Not wanting to queue and get wet before we'd even started, plans altered and we shopped (I was very restrained around the OVO products) and checked in at our place for the night, heading back out once we thought the queue might have died down. No queues this time but an eye watering entrance fee meant we opted for Ash and Seth to go in and me to watch (read and avoid hordes of small Austrian kids in football kit apparently). Probably for the best as it was crazily full and, to quote them both 'full of idiots', that said I think it's safe to say Seth had fun regardless.

Today was the long awaited return to Bled. I'd been reading reports of awful flooding in Slovenia but we left in the dry and all the reports said the situation was much better especially in Bled. The journey was this, not many hold ups, three stops, fabulous views and only a short wait at the karawanke (yes, really 😂😂) tunnel. In a few short hours we were back in Slovenia. Ash had a little wobble as we passed the place of his 'arrest' a few years back when we didn't realise we needed a vignette and he was reassured that this year is bought online in advance! We decided to take our sandwiches to 'the beach' a little more water than usual but less wasps. Seth had a paddle until the rain started and we went to our home for the next few days, the delightfully named 'honey bee apartments. The place itself may not actually meet even the most basic of building regs in the UK (the stairs up to the apartment can best be described as 'stairs of death' with strange corners and a distinct lack of handles and sides, and the inside is a bit heath Robinson to say the least but..... The lake is a minutes walk away, it has a balcony, a stream, free honey and comfy beds and, well, it's in Bled. Happy days. Once checked in (seemingly with all the things we own) we went for tea at a nearby restaurant. The wasps.are.back. not content with stinging me last year and spoiling all the parties, one joined us for tea and invited his mates but at least Seth was amused by my flapping although the man behind me who inadvertently nearly got a few slaps may have been less amused.
A short walk 'home' with a laugh at the ducks enjoying all the extra water and it was time for bed

Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb