Last day already ?


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland
September 19th 2015
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.4142, 16.8909

Neither of us were too keen to leave our pits this morning and I feel sorry for the cleaners who have to deal with this room later as the air is anything but pleasant in here !!
We head down for breakfast at 09:00 and we are both up to a larger helping of the food on offer today than we were yesterday. I don't even put any yoghurt in my coffee today !
Back to the room to pack our bags then we leave them in storage at the hotel, check-out, then head for a few hours.
Stu wants to buy a Lech Poznan football scarf and the lads in the bar on Thursday night told us there was a shop at their ground on the outskirts of town. We remember this morning that the 24hr tram ticket we bought yesterday lunchtime didn't start its time countdown until it had been scanned at a monitor aboard a tram. We hadn't done this yet and there didn't seem to be much point in doing it now.
We boarded a tram outside the hotel and set off in the vague direction of where we believed the ground to be although we had failed to locate it on any of our maps. Thinking we still had a way to go I heard the tram announce we were arriving at Stadium station which woke us up and we noticed that we had actually arrived.
The INEA stadium was fully redeveloped for use in the 2012 Euro finals that Poland co-hosted and has a 44000 all seated capacity so once we had left the tram the ground was easily spotted about 400m away.
We found a gap in the fencing that surrounded the forecourts and kept walking around until we spotted the shop. We tried the door but it was locked even though there appeared to be people inside. We walked back a little and asked one of the security people about when/if the shop would be opening to be told that it was already open. There was another door right next to the one we had been trying !! Lots of stuff here in Poznan blue and white and Stu gets his scarf.
We ask if it is possible to have a quick look inside the stadium and are told that there are official tours but it is a few hours before the next one starts and we have to get back to the hotel to get our stuff before leaving for the airport. As we pass the security guard who pointed out our error with the shop doors we ask her as well and she directs down a tunnel to a gateway where we can get a decent view of the inside of the stadium through a metal fence. The security guy here wont let us go any further but at least we could see the stands and the pitch. Looks empty, as it had done during the match on Thursday night !
We return to the tram and head back into town. It is another hot day and the tram is baking hot. As we reach the railway station the tram turns in the wrong direction so we have to jump off and get another one.
Have to stop in the old square for a farewell beer before picking up our bags and getting a taxi out to the airport. The return trip costs almost twice as much as our ride on Thursday afternoon and it seems almost certain that the driver stitched us up but ...
Entering the terminal there were long queues waiting to pass through security into the departure lounge. Things were moving very slowly and with people getting anxious about their flights there was pushing in and arguments and things were getting a bit heated. Eventually we pass through and this is the first time in 10 years I haven't set off the scanners so it made me wonder if they were even working !!
We make our way to our departure gate to find people queuing already and off we go again. Eventually we get to the door outside and walk over to our plane, Ryan Air flight FR2337 with its 14:50 local time departure. It seems to take an age for everyone to settle in their seats and we are not in the best of moods by the time the plane starts to move.
Do widzenia Poznan and Poland !!
The flight is uneventful and due to their adding a little time to the expected flight time we arrive slightly ahead of schedule to the sounds of more trumpets and self-congratulations.
Leaving the aircraft we walk what feels like miles to reach immigration where thousands of people are already queuing in a snake across the room. Things are actually moving quite quickly but it still seems to take an age as we seem to have been queuing for hours by now already.
Leaving the terminal our queuing is not over as there is also a queue waiting for the bus back to the long stay car parks.
Eventually we are back at the car making good use of the 'toilet' facilities in the trees before setting off. We had planned on having a short break after leaving the M25 but in the end we drive straight home arriving about 19:30, just in time to get something to eat before the 20:00 rugby kicks off.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb