It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
December 24th 2014
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Zeebrugge to Oslo


On our first night whilst moving between quizzes, we shared the elevator to the Crow's Nest with a young couple Jane and Nick. Both live in Southampton and both are originally from the Isle of Wight. As Roisin and Jane got talking, it came as no surprise that Jane's family knows the family of an ex colleague and good friend of Roisin's. In fact Jane's mother was the predecessor to Roisin's friend in the local Brownie group on the island! As I keep saying: ‘It's a small world…but I wouldn't want to paint it!!!'

Oslo lays at the end of a 60 mile long fjord but as we sailed this deep expanse of water surrounded either side by (I am told) its picturesque snow covered peaks. The ship will have weaved through the many pine clad islands and passed many brightly painted wooden houses giving this route a charm of its own. It was the early hours of the morning so this is one experience we'll have to postpone for another less Christmassy time!!

However, a surprise was still to follow. As we wandered on to deck to assess the sub-zero temperature of Norway's capital city, the sight that greeted us was what we had wished for but held out little hope of happening. Before us stood a city that was enveloped in a blanket of white. Although it wasn't snowing at present, I had a sneaking suspicion that it had been snowing at some stage within the past week!! As far as the eye could see, roofs were covered in snow. The surrounding hills were not their usual brown/green but a brilliant white, dispersed with dark clusters of the pine forests. I think snow at Christmas adds to the magic and festive atmosphere.

So in minus 5 with a snow covered ground what was the plan for today? My pre cruise research identified there are over 50 museums in Oslo along with an abundance of galleries. This is an impressive amount for the size of a city like Oslo. Unfortunately we only have 7 hours ashore so to cover all 50 museums we could only afford 12 minutes per museum!! (including travelling time!!) and we'd still have to come back another time to do all the galleries!! Fortunately my research also identified that all 50 are closed as today (Christmas Eve) is the day Norwegians celebrate Christmas and is a national holiday. I don't feel so guilty now!!

The ship docked within a 5 minute walk to the centre of town (sentrum). Walking along the quay, I noticed the dock was frozen. Somehow our ship had broken through the ice to be able to tie up along the quayside. It was difficult to see where the ice began and the open water ended. There were a number of fish eating aquatic birds walking on the solid ice of the docks wondering the same thing!!

We walked up the main shopping street of Karl Johann's Gate, past the 17th century Domkirke (cathedral) and cut through Stortorve to Grensen. Continuing for another 5 minutes in to Kristian IV's Gate we arrived at our first destination, an Ice Bar. These are becoming more popular through the world with similar establishments now in London, Stockholm and temporary ones seem to pop up at various times of the year. We stepped in to the reception from -5 outside, bought our tickets and entered the ice bar that happened to be -5 degrees. So why then did we have to put their padded cape over what I considered to be an already adequate winter coat??!

The timing of our arrival was perfect. Although the ice bar doesn't officially open until 11am, we were told we could enter the frozen ‘pub' at 10:40am. There were only 2 other couples inside. Everything including the walls, bar counter, furniture and artwork is made from 60 tons of solid ice sourced from the Torne River in Lapland. Our entry entitled us to a free drink; an alcoholic fruit concoction aptly called Frozen! I would have welcomed a hot cup of cocoa at this stage but that would be like lighting a camp fire in the middle of the floor. The steam would raise the temperature sufficiently for the ice bar to become just another room submerged in 3 feet of water!! There were carvings within the main bar area; one of a silhouette of a rather nubile athletic looking young lady and to contrast that, a middle aged bloke sitting down holding a flagon of ale! Probably staring at the nubile looking figure that took pride of place in the middle of the room! Some of the artwork on the wall was almost hologram-like in appearance as these were carved inside the ice. One recognisable of these was an image of The Scream, that famous portrait by Edvard Munch.

After about 25 minutes of admiring the artwork and photos we suddenly noticed the room get smaller. Actually the room remained the same size but there were at least 50 people in the main bar all jostling for the same photo. It was time we said our goodbyes to this extraordinary experience and head toward the Royal Palace, the residence of the king of Norway and his family.

On the walk back to the ship we passed the Grand Hotel. Peering in through the window we saw a full dining room of families who had started their Christmas lunch. Many of the patrons were dressed in the Norwegian national costumes. I suddenly felt conscious that we must have looked like something from a Dickens novel with our faces pressed up against the glass drooling at the abundance of goodies being served in the warmth of the hotel whilst we were outside in the snow having just had a cup of coffee in Burger King (the only restaurant within our price range!!)

Oslo has a lot to offer but as one of the most expensive cities in the world it's not on our bucket list. In fact it doesn't even make the bucket!!

Back on board and it was time for the main event. Out on to the Aquarius deck shortly before 3pm, deck 9, 10 and 11 were packed with passengers and crew awaiting the arrival of Mr S C himself. And they say that the Arcadia is an adult only ship. I've never seen as many excited faces on the elderly since the Government lifted the tax rate on Sanatogen!! The proceedings was led by the choir singers but everyone could join in if so desired. The glǿgg (mulled wine) was free flowing and a party mood was taking shape. The tannoy from the bridge announced the arrival of Santa and suddenly this human shape appears atop the funnel waving fanatically at the awaiting crowds below. It was supposed to be the ‘fat' man himself but the harness made him look like he had chained himself to the funnel and was actually one of the fathers4justice characters in fancy dress!!

He disappeared and within minutes reappeared on deck 10. Either it really was Father Christmas or there are more than 1 of them!! He walked among us posing for photos with his 2 elfin helpers, who threw candy as they went. He then made an announcement that he had to shoot off to the Caribbean to the Ventura and Azura as there are 800 screaming kids he has to deal with!!

Now I consciously haven't written much about routine on board as this trip has been more about the experience of a Christmas cruise rather than the level of service or the quality of entertainment. Though it is safe to say there are more quizzes on this ship than any other cruise we have been on. One of today's quizzes was a festive theme. Apart from collecting a sheet to write down your answers we also picked up a second sheet of paper. All these supplementary sheets portrayed different numbers and pictures. For example, ours had a number 12> and a picture of a drum (can you see where this is going??) There were three rounds to the quiz and after the second round we all had to join in singing 12 days of Christmas (The Spinners version!) When it was your number, you had to stand up, do the actions and sing your line. More than 1 team could have the same number so you weren't alone but you were all spread throughout the ‘Rising Sun'. Now Roisin was already ahead of the game in as much as when she went up to collect the papers from the front, she took a number 12. Those poor sods who had picked up a number ‘1' or ‘2' had their work cut out as we only had to stand up once!! We did well scoring 39 out of 45. The winner scored 41. We fell down on naming ALL the wise men, dropping two points (we could only think of Balthazar) and couldn't name all the main actors from the film ‘White Christmas'. (dropping another three points!)

We finished the evening with Jane and Nick, the couple we have befriended from the Isle of Wight. Most people are out to have a good time, are polite and thoughtful. However Jane mentioned when they came down for breakfast this morning they approached a table and asked the sole person sitting there ‘Do you mind if we join you?' ‘I'd rather you didn't,' was his reply. He has probably realised that he's on Santa's naughty list and it's too late to change anything. So you'll only find a lump of coal in your stocking tomorrow, Mr Grumpy!!

It was gone midnight as we headed back to our cabin. It was the night before Christmas all through the boat nothing was stirring, not even a goat!!

As we came out of the elevator and turned in to the port passageway that would lead to our cabin, up ahead there was a puddle of water several inches deep and covering an area of at least 12 to 15 feet. A passenger had just left his cabin and told us that the crew are aware and are sending a plumber to investigate. I hope the plumber is part of the crew and someone in the passenger service desk isn't frantically thumbing through the small ads of the local free newspaper!! We retraced our steps and headed down the starboard passageway thus bypassing the flood and then cutting through to arrive at our cabin. The flood had occurred in the forward section of cabins. Our cabin is situated at the opposite end in the aft section. I'm hoping the damage is a hole in a pipe and not a hole in the ship!!

The flood was soon backmost in our thoughts as soon as we entered our cabin. Santa had been and left a few presents courtesy of P & O. For the ladies a toiletry/make up bag and for the gents a compact external speaker that could plug in to an iPod, iPad, laptop etc…

It is 12:40am on 25th December 2014 – MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY. (or if this internet is still as slow as it has been while we've been at sea – A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



25th December 2014

Happy Christmas. Glad you're having a good time. I'm full of turkey & chocolate.
25th December 2014

good job guys - can't see much snow right now in Auckland, NZ but it's lovely on the deck chairs in the sun here - Boxing Day morning already. lots of love from Andrew & Annie
25th December 2014

Any resemblance to a Kipper called Nigel entirely accidental!
26th December 2014

Happy Christmas on boxing day, You are not very far from us. Welcome to Partille tomorrow on the 27th of dec at 11 am!
26th December 2014

....It?s a brunch "party"..... :-)
26th December 2014

Sorry Ragnhild, I asked Captain Trevor if he'd stop off at Gothenburg but he said no! But to wish you a Happy Brunch Party anyway!! God Jul alla!

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb