Oslo by Foot


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
August 1st 2023
Published: August 1st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Nothing planned for today so a late breakfast. Chris decided on having a lazy day so I went out solo after breakfast.

Wandered up the main shopping street opposite our room. Ended up at the Royal Palace. An impressive building at the top of a hill. They have soldiers guarding the entrances. Their hats have what looks like a black straw plume on one side of their hats. They stand there and turn their heads to either side with this plume dancing in the wind. Would be very annoying and a distraction if anything really active were to happen.

Then they take off and march up and down their line. Very pompous but also impressive. Lots of gun saluting, resting and shouldering arms.

Wandered around the back. Very pretty Queen’s garden there and at the very back groups of people being admitted for tours. Too many to wait for a turn. Wandered back down and into the university great hall. Audio service explained the artwork and architectural bits of the building.

Out again and wandered back to the hotel. Pippa called so we chatted to her and the others for a while. Chris got active after this call and we went out to do some sights.

Ended up at the opera house. The outside of the building is like a ski slope, and you can walk up the roof areas (ski slopes) to the very top. The views of the city and waterways from there are fantastic.

We got to one part and there was a couple having a big cuddle. Chris thought they may have just got engaged. There was a ring type box on the parapet and they looked pretty chuffed with each other. Interesting place to propose but I am sure it will be remembered.

Down again and by this time it is getting a bit hot and sweaty. Yes, sit down time with a drink. We are in the square below our room people watching. Lots to see as this is a very busy area for people movement.

Go inside for something to eat and the steak place we saw last night was open. Up we go. I have a very nice eye fillet and Chris has a burger.

Dinner done so we go back and start to re-pack the cases again. We decided to load the big case with stuff we won’t use again - thermals, some jackets, etc. The other stuff will go into one case for both of us as we don’t have to worry about weight any more. Trains, boats and cars from now on.

Tomorrow we will visit another art gallery we saw from the opera house and other Oslo stuff.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb