Tourist Day in Oslo


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
August 2nd 2023
Published: August 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Decided to be real tourists today and do museums and other stuff. Got an Oslo Card which gives you free entry to lots of places along with free public transport to boot.

Walk up the main traffic free street (popular shopping area) to the ferry terminal. Plan is to cross the waters to the maritime museum and the Fram museum (ship from the 1800’s that did both the north and south poles).

Made it and saw the stuff in these interesting museums. Viking ship stuff in the maritime museum, along with the history of Norway’s coastal trading ships (the start of the Hurtigruten era). Even had a very early model of the ship we had just come from before she was changed to include more cabins.

Back to the mainland and did a walk through City Hall. Impressive main hall with interesting art work. Lots of groups waiting to get married - small and in some cases very large numbers.

Jumped on a tram to the sculpture park. Well, what can I say. Very expressive sculptures. Lots of willies and boobies in all sorts of convoluted contorted positions. Finished off with a huge pole like an obelisque. But this one has bodies piled on bodies with very good anatomical features everywhere. Hmmm…..

Back to town and to an art gallery called Munch (after the artist Edvard Munch) - correct, never heard of him before either.

The main attraction was the building. 13 stories high but the last 3 or 4 have the glass at a crazy angle. You can stand and look straight down to the ground. They have a rooftop bar so had to oblige and have a G&T up there. Great views of the Oslo waterfront.

Had tea at a burger place on the way back to the hotel. The black clouds were looming so we asked to go inside. After a bit of a hassle we were seated when the skies opened up. Lots more from outside scampering into the tables that weren’t open earlier. Burger was good and interesting watching the amount of rain dumped in a short time. Felt a bit homesick.

When we had finished eating, the rain had gone so back to the hotel to pack the big bags. They are leaving us tomorrow for Bergen by road while we do the Flam railway adventure. We get to Bergen on Friday and our big bags should be there waiting for us - hopefully. They say they do it all the time so we trust them.🤞🤞


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.377s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb