Clogs, Cheese and Culture


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
July 16th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.4949, 5.07119

We are on the way back from Voldendam now, stuck in a traffic jam. Ive just woke from a snooze. Its been another busy and beautiful sunny day, and we've all got a bit of sunburn. We started a bit earlier today, on the road by half past eight. It took around 90 minutes to make the drive from Hendrik Ido Ambacht. Marielle had helped Jan plan some things for todays adventure. After parking the car, a short walk had us in Volendam, an old and pretty town on the waterfront.
Once the South Sea separated Volendam and Marken, but now with new dykes being built, the salt water has become fresh and these are fishing villages no longer. We took a ship from Volendam to cross over to Marken. The trip took around 30 minutes, people on sailboats waving as they went by.
Marken is a smaller little country village, dotted with old homes, cafes and moored yachts. We stopped for a drink on the shore, before taking a walk through the village. One home was open for display, and the owner told us of the story of his great aunt who used to live here, the old lifestyle, decor, furniture and fashion.
Then we came to the a Marken shoemaker for a demonstration on clog making. You would be surprised just how comfortable wooden shoes can be. They are moulded and hollowed out by machines, then smoothed and finished by hand.
We had a packed lunch of sandwiches and Krentebolen (fruit bread) sitting on the pier before taking the boat back to Volendam. We wandered the streets and shops here for a time before making a stop for some fish, a Lekkerbek, sold at tourist price. Lesson learnt, never ever try anything without double checking the price; 15.50€ for 2 small flake sized fish. They were tasty, but I choked on a bone. Across the street, to the Volendam Cheese making factory for a tour and taste. They take milk, then add an additive, a fluid from the cows stomach. This makes the milk more solid and thick. They separate the whey and curds, cut the milk and put it into moulds. Then into a salt bath for 24 hours where it develops a natural wax. It is left to set, and coated in a plastic wax. It must now sit for 4 weeks at which time it is edible as a young cheese. 4 months it is middle aged, and after 9 months it is mature. We tasted a young, a middle aged and a smoky goats cheese. Lekker!
Speaking of Lekker, tonights BBQ dinner certainly fit that category. Time is flying by here. Just two more full days here! Natalie has been having serious breathing problems today, with her asthma. Shes a bit better tonight, but we may need to see a doctor if the problem persists.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb