An Afternoon in Zeeland


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
July 17th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.5014, 3.6149

Our departure this morning was delayed. After breakfast, Jan spent most of the morning calling government authorities and archivists to help reveal my family history. Many things were revealed and confirmed. My research was correct. We confirmed Opas mother, her spouse, and the siblings of Opa. We also learned more of the Mallegroms. The identity of my great grandfather is still in dispute, as he is listed as unknown on Opas birth certificate. Only the author of the archive data I have, or Opas brother/half brother may know the full story.
With a head racing with speculation and information we set off to Zeeland around lunch. By 1pm, we arrived at Oostershelde Dyke Bridge/ Water control gate which separates the sea from the lakes of South East Holland. The lakes are currently above sea level, and hence emptying into the sea. We stopped for a packed lunch on the waterfront, Marielle made uneasy by the presence of hungry and giant gulls. A short drive on, for a walk around Middleberg. Just a nice little city. We enjoyed a local delicacy from the bakery here; Zeeuwze Boluz, a sweet sugary bread. Lekker! I also purchased a terabyte portable drive, assured it would work if connected to my tablet with an adapter. It doesn't. We were also told we could return it if this was the case. Frustrating.
Last stop, Vlissingen. A walk along the water took us to the statue of the famous Dutch sea commander, de Ruijter. We stayed a while by the sea and a carnival, before heading back for home. Just a day left with the Struiks tomorrow in Maastricht. Friday we are transferred off to stay with the Vonks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb