Day 18 – At the top of Montenegro


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Kotor » Kotor
June 11th 2015
Published: April 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We had tasted delicious home-made Montenegrin cakes made by Stanka, as every morning. Then, as arranged, at 9, the taxi drive us was waiting for us in front of the house. What a view! They said you could see up to Italy’s coast but despite the beautiful and clear wetter, we did not have this chance. We could marvel at every Montenegrins’ summit and lake Shkoder, the mouth of Kotor and the Adriatic. Far away, the Durmitor were standing very proud. Stunning ! Totally worth the drive.(Or the 7-hours hike)



Petar II Njegos mausoleum, the supreme bishop, is perched at 1660m high, which makes it to the second highest summit of Lovcen Parc. He was an admired poet and had chosen to repose there once dead, because he felt very linked to this place. His ashes were many times taken away and brought back, for example during World War II. The occupants also nearly destroyed the chapel. A famous architect conceived the actual tomb which became a Montenegrins’ pilgrims’ destination. The statue weights 28 tonnes and was made of one block.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb