These dogs are tired!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
September 13th 2016
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.442, 10.9955

Well not sure when we got old but the way we are moaning and groaning makes it seem like it! Our feet and my back are tired... It's 6:30 pm and I'm at 15,767 steps and we still need to go out for dinner tonight and who knows where that will lead us? It's not really that many steps but I think it's the combo of so many days of walking on cobblestones and then standing on marble floors that make it seem more than it is.

Today we got out at the crack of 11:30... Jim slept well last night for a change and I couldn't fall asleep until somewhere around 2 am, church bells woke me up around 8:30 am and there was no going back to sleep (and shouldn't have - we have things to see and do!) but we really took our time getting up and about, it was nice to not have to rush around and get someplace at a certain time.

We started off going to the Duomo and it's archeological ruins, frankly, I can hardly remember much of it as that was a whole 7 hours ago! Photos will bring us all up to date on it....

Next up was the ancient Roman Theatre and Museum, they have it set up for concerts and were actually tearing it down now for the winter I think. It was a beautiful view as it was all built on a hill (St. Peter's) so has an amazing view of the river and rest of the city, photos to follow. Interesting museum with Roman artifacts, some Egyptian artifacts, and some mummy parts.

We then walked over to the Roman Forum, it was the 8th largest in the empire and 4th largest in Italy, after Milian, Padua, and of course Roma. FYI, if you've been to the one in Rome don't bother going to this one, it's 10 euro's and after Rome, it's not going to impress you, if you've never seen one then by all means go. This too was set up for a concert and they were doing sound checks which were super loud! The acoustics work in there!

Off to see the last church on our church "pass" St Zeno, on the way we passed by Castlevecchio and it' bridge to the arsenale we were able to go through the gate over the drawbridge and enjoy the cool bridge for free as we walked along the river to St Zeno, thinking on the way back we'd hit this....
Saw St. Zeno, very interesting church, photos to follow. At the churches, you aren't supposed to have uncovered shoulders so the provide a temporary shawl sort of covering for you to use. I'm wearing a sleeveless dress today so used that at a couple of churches, it looks and is light but for some reason is extremely hot!

This is a very easy town to walk and navigate, as you can see from a number of steps I have so far it's really not that big. The Duomo and Roman Theatre are at opposite ends of the city from St Zeno.

This morning I did a load of wash in the washing machine, used the drying rack to lay everything on before we left and it's totally dry now, it's been super nice to have the washing machines at the apts so we don't have to transport dirty clothes around. Found a little grocery store on the way back to the apt and bought a bit of fruit and eggs for breakfast, also bought some pre-made sandwiches at a deli for our lunch on the train tomorrow or maybe before the train, not sure when we leave right now.

So we'll be off now for dinner, will fill you in on that later. (Just added dinner pics)
A presto!
Wendy

Just back from dinner a bit ago, we ate at a great restaurant called Ristorante Santa Felicita, it's in an old church, highly rated and was our splurge dinner ;-). We had their risotto with porcini mushrooms and then Jim had veal and I had ribeye. Jim was afraid of the cavallo meat so passed on that... ;-). We then walked to the river and saw the Roman Theatre lit up across the river, lots of great views here to enjoy.

We'll pack up a bit now and have the taxi come at 12 for us, so we'll get out a little tomorrow morning too.

Update on the school! Was emailed today, was told that the apartment they had reserved for me was canceled and so are scrambling to find a spot for me... Oh well, at least I'm on the radar and so will probably stay with a family. That will be fine.

A presto!
Ciao,
Wendy

Steps: 17, 488. Flights: 28. Miles: 7.53



Additional photos below
Photos: 116, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



13th September 2016

What a beautiful place, thanks for posting the pictures! I "had" to research this, think it is the oleander plant, very common in Italy, southern California, places like that. Not related to the rhododendron, but found out both plants are v
ery toxic, as in a dog or child can be killed if they eat one leaf of oleander! (Rhodies and azaleas not as bad.) Good to know, also best not to touch the oleander with bare hands, the sap can irritate skin. Hope you just admired it from afar.
15th September 2016

Wow, that's beautiful!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb