Europa Day 29


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
June 10th 2012
Published: June 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 29

Leave Gravedona after a final chat with our Irish friends and decided to head to the hills once again to visit Switzerland one more time.

We pack the car and are greeted by the owners (remember the comment about the boss who looked over everything with his hands in his suit pockets) who bade us a fond farewell. Very nice people who help us with our bags and direct us out of the car park. A really nice hotel once again......

Into the alps to visit the cross border towns and a pretty trip up into the hills on quite good roads. Get to the border and stop where Stella tells us which happens to be right against the border gate (walking entry) while the road crossing is below us. The town we visit in Switzerland is Castesegna. A tiny village that serves the border.

We walk the town and it is a really pretty sight. Lots of old style chalet buildings with many built in the 16th and 17th century. Again a nice place to see well off the beaten track. We have a snack at the only place open which turns out to be really good food and a way to use p our Swiss francs.

Off again towards Verona, our next stop. This takes us into the town and we book into our hotel and decide to do the town. They have another hop on/off bus so guess what......

We park the car and walk into the centre of town (the Arena is the place to be) and find the bus straight away. Itis leaving in 5 minutes so on we get. Around the first part, then in 20 mins the next trip. No where near as good as he Lyon trip but still gave us a feel for the place.

We then walk around the Arena. Magnificent Roman colosseum that is still intact. Unfortunately they were setting up for a show so no entry.

Then the backstreets to Juliet (Romeo and Juliet) house to view the infamous balcony. Closed but lots of people still milling around the gates. 2 people inside drinking champagne at a table - not sure if it was a setup or lots of money paid to get exclusive rights.

Then decide to see Romeos house - eventually find it - bit of a dump compared to Juliette's - behind a big wall so hard to tell ifit was grand or what......

Have dinner late in the square and go back to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.41s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb