Europa Day 30


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
June 11th 2012
Published: June 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 30

Off towards Venice after planning our next few weeks traveling.

We had decided to get near to Venice today and do a full day tomorrow.

How plans can change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We drive and all of a sudden we are on the canal bridge into Venice. Time is about 1245 so guess what, we are doing Venice today as well as tomorrow. No drama, that is what self drive holidays do to you....

We park the car or Tronchetta, a purpose built island that has a multi level car park and ferry terminal. Very easy to find (thanks Stella) and we are all of a sudden into the Venetian area. Work out that the public transport system of ferries seems a good option so buy a 24 hour ticket - again like the hop on/off bus bit, but this timicon water.

No hotel bookings but will decide later - might even do a long trip on the ferries and sleep in the car......

Off we go with absolutely no idea what to do, see or expect. Once we start we are met with sights that are out of the postcard world. Boats everywhere, gondolas, water taxis, freight boats loading laundry, food and drink, even dishwashers.....

This is the land of water travel.... We work out the ferries and do a couple of laps of the Grand Canal, outer canals and eventually back to the main square (San Marco). On the last trip we get talking to a family who turn out to be from Melbourne.....

They are staying on the island at San Marco. Ding..... Why don't we do that too. Ok, get off at San Marco and look at the hotels in the square and the is one that Chris had read about - Pensione Wildner - used to be a hip place for muso's back in the 60's. Looked ok and had a nice restaurant so decide to ask if they had a room. Sure enough, yes and bloody cheap as well. Done....

Back on the ferry to the car and pack the small bag for the night and back to our new hotel on Venice. Sounds romantic and the lights are just coming on as we get back.

Only issue is 4th floor and no lift but getting used to that....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb