Hair today, gone to Burano!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
October 10th 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

This morning we arose especially early, as I had to go for the chop before we did anything else. By this, I mean of course to the on board barber. This was of mega importance as I was starting to feel somewhat like a cross between Catweazle and Worzel Gummage!!

This trip to the hair salon was not planned. I usually visit the barber before we leave home but due to other commitments I was unable to visit until the morning of departure. I arrived at my usual barber at exactly 9am only to find that it had been closed since 1st October for refurbishment and not due to reopen for several more days. I drove to my second choice barber; one I have not been to for a couple of years. To my surprise the only thing I could expect to get cut there would be tiles or a length of carpet as this was now a bathroom and bedroom store! My 3rd choice only 200 yards further on and still with a traditional red and white barbers pole outside was closed all day Tuesday (today being Tuesday!). Out of ideas I called in at Aunt Sally's for a cup of tea and a slice of cake!!!

Back to the present and the ship's barber started asking some personal questions such as 'do I have a dry scalp? Do I have eczema? Does my head itch? Not too sure what ‘hints' she was giving out. What ever happened to the usual small talk I was used to such as:'Going anywhere nice for your holidays?!' On second thoughts, how would I answer that? It could be seen as a loaded question!! When she asked me ye another personal question about what shampoo I use? I replied: ‘Home and Bargain 2 for 1!'

‘Don't you mean 2-in-1?' she asked.

‘No!' I said. ‘Buy one, get one free!!'

Freshly groomed, we were now ready to face the day. Our plan was to visit the small island of Burano in the Venetian Laguna. Today would be busy in Venice as the P & O ship Azura and The Royal Caribbean ‘The legend of the Seas' had not long arrived. We had already purchased a 24-hour card for the Vaporetti, the water taxis that serves Venice and its environs so we just need to find the correct stop, validate our ticket and we're away.

Taking the people mover back to Piazzale Roma, we found the correct landing stage and took the Vaporetto to Fondemente Nove on the opposite side from St Mark's Square where most people tended to head for. The journey took us some way down the Grand Canal then turned down one of the side canals until we entered the Laguna proper. This part of the journey took 25 minutes.

A short walk over a bridge and we found our next Vaporetto, number 12 that would take us to Burano. This part of the journey takes approximately 45 minutes passing the cemetery island of San Michele and the glass making centre of the area known as Murano.

We were told to alight at the stop before Burano, Mazzorbo and walk a few hundred yards across a bridge that joins this small island on to the larger island of Burano. Not one to heed advice, we decided to stay on the boat and alight at the stop of Burano. Although Burano was in touching distance, the boat proceeded to sail away in the opposite direction guided by a trail of trio of logs that have been pile driven in to the seabed to act as marker buoys. The water taxi called at Torcello before heading back and stopping at Burano some 15 minutes after arriving at Mazzorbo. The whole journey from the Royal Princess had taken almost 2 hours.

Burano is probably the most colourful landmass in the famous Venetian lagoon. Its buildings are painted in blue, peppermint, a reddy brown sort of colour and yellow. The houses are coloured so that fishermen way out at sea could recognise their own abodes. I'm not too sure how the fishermen could recognise their house if there were only 4 colours to choose from!! Surely the local branch of B & Q had more colours in their Crown paint super deluxe range!!

‘There's my house there. The reddy brown one next to the yellow house!'

‘That's not yours, that's mine. Your house is next to the blue house. It used to be yellow but Alfonso decided he didn't like to colour so changed it yesterday!!'

We did notice one house that had done away with tradition and painted it purple. Unfortunately it is inland so you can't see it from the sea anyway!!

These brilliant colours have become so iconic over the years that residents are now required to get approval from the commune before painting their houses to ensure the tradition continues. I wonder if the council know about the purple house and if they didn't, would they make the owner change it back to the way it was!!

Not only do the residents paint their houses bright vivid colour but some of the islanders have taken to wearing them as one gentleman in bright yellow trousers proved!.

Despite having the distinct feel of a fishing village, Burano is more famous for its lace making.

There were some extraordinary works of art within the lace shops that we visited. One assistant proceeded to give us the hard sell and showed us tablecloth after tablecloth. We enquired after one that wasn't even lace. It was a polyester/cotton mix and cost €178. I tried to explain that we don't live in a €178 euro tablecloth house. As Roisin also pointed out, out table didn't even cost €178!!

The skyline of Burano is dominated by the campanile of San Martino, an 18th century bell tower in the town square. It is not as straight as it ought to be although I'm sure the architect would say that he intended it to be that way!! You thought they would have learned from Pisa; obviously not. No lessons learned event there then!!! As the slant is not as acute as the Leaning Tower of Pisa, this is known as the Tilting Tower of Burano!!!

It is a legal requirement by maritime law that every cruise ship has a muster drill prior to setting sail at the beginning of each voyage. The announcement was made at 3pm that the drill would commence promptly at 4pm. At 3.30, Roisin and I noticed quite a few of the passengers getting on to the elevators with their life jackets, heading for their muster station. I heard one couple say. ‘We might as well get ready now before the rush starts and so we can get a seat!!'! They think they're attending a movie or theatre production!! It sorts of defeats the object.

Roisin and I were one of the last couples to arrive at our muster station and for the first time every there were still plenty of seats available. This is one of the first impressions aboard the Royal Princess. Despite 3600 passengers on board, the ship doesn't feel crowed. There is always somewhere to sit.

As the ship departed, the ship's horn piped the theme tune from the love boat. The ‘Legend of the Seas' tried to replay the compliment but ended up giving a feeble toot of their horn by comparison!!

We sailed down Canale della Guidecca to the mouth of the Grand Canal and passed San Marco's square, out through the Laguna heading in to the North Adriatic.

Not long after setting sail, our cabin started to vibrate. Music was thumping out and from wherever or whomever the music was originating, had the base turned up to 11!

We deduced that as there are only cabins above, it must have been coming from the Princess Theatre as this was immediately below us. I am sure no fellow passengers where THAT inconsiderate!!

‘Thump, thump, thump'

‘Hang on a minute', I thought. That wasn't music. It was next door banging on the wall. I ignored it.

‘Bam bam, bam'. The knocking was so hard the TV suspended on the wall nearly came of its bracket.

I stormed out of our cabin and knocked on their door. A lady n her late 60s early 70s answered.

Excuse me!' I started. ‘Have you got a problem?'

‘Is that not you making all that noise. Are y'playin' a stereo or something?' Judging from her accent, I'd say she was from the deep South as I thought I'd just walked in to a scene from Deliverance!! I expected to see a banjo propped up in the corner or hear a pig squealing in the bathroom!!

‘We haven't even got the TV switched on. In fact we very nearly didn't have a TV to switch on!!I said.

Well, I do declare. Where's it all comin' from', she asked.

No idea' I said. But it ain't us, y'all…' I quipped as I walked away.

Later that evening when Roisin was drying her hair, I advised her not to have the hair dryer on too loud as she'll have the neighbours complaining!!!

For dinner we decided to take Davide up on his offer and visited the Symphony dining room. There was a 50-minute wait. We put out name down and received a pager. We then spotted Davide who saw us and held 2 fingers before scurrying off. We waited 10 minutes in the hope he would beckon us in but he never returned. We decided to have a wander until our pager buzzed.

An hour later we got the call and within minutes of turning up were shown to a table for 2. My mind cast back to Davide. Maybe his 2 fingers weren't saying ‘table for 2?!!'

During service an apologetic Davide came over and explained that the first evening is always chaos but if we wanted we can choose any seat and he will ensure it is reserved for us every night even if we don't turn us. S'alright, no problem! Roisin chose a table for 2 in a strategic location where you could see the rest of the dining room.

Tomorrow is a day at sea. It is always good to start with a relaxing day at sea to become acclimatised. This should hold us in good stead for the days to come that will see us visiting 5 ports in 5 days.

We shall test out if Davide is good for his word tomorrow on the first formal night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



12th October 2013

Nice one Chris. Better than that Bryson book I once read. Whats with the noise? Is that normal, or a one off on a boat trip?
12th October 2013

Great start to the blog Mr & Mrs H. The photos are fab too. We're cruising to Venice next year, so these installments have been really useful and informative. Can't wait to go there now!
13th October 2013

The same colour as we have on our house. Warm and friendly
13th October 2013

Amazing - you can really see the effect of Chris' visit to the ship's barber in this shot - worth every cent!
14th October 2013

I didn't want the sea air to ruin my beautiful mullet!!

Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb