Venice - A postcard just for Lee!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 4th 2012
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Manchester to Venice


The aptly named  people mover - VeniceThe aptly named  people mover - VeniceThe aptly named people mover - Venice

It does what it says on the tin!!
It was an early start for this trip. We had to get up by 4am and out by 5am to catch the morning 7:30 flight with Jet2 to Venice. I didn't even realise that there was a 4am!! I can't write much between getting up and reaching the airport, as I don't remember!! In fact I don't remember opening my eyes until we reached the terminal building then I remembered…hey we're on us holidays!!

Apparently, I had rang the 'Meet and Greet' car park people, 10 minutes before we arrived at the airport as requested on their literature. They are waiting for you when you get to the airport and will take your car to their parking lot then return it on your arrival back in to the UK. However, this is the first time we had used this company and, to be honest, they weren't so hot on the ‘meet' bit. In fact there wasn't much of the ‘greet' to be seen either!!!

It was 35 minutes since my initial phone call before a car strolled up and one of their operatives, a man of few words, gave us some papers, grunted, took our car keys and drove off.

We had checked in on-line so it only remained to drop our luggage off. When we arrived at the queue it was about 5 times larger than those who were checking in through the traditional method. The baggage drop-off queue seemed to be moving slower as well. The problem is that most households now own a PC or laptop so on-line check-in is encouraged therefore it has now become the norm. Your bags still have to be weighed and tagged. It now seems to be quicker to wait to get to the airport before checking in!!

The security routine that we have all come to admire seemed to be hi-tech and well organised…until some jobs-worth always wants to spoil it. I had passed through security relatively unscathed and in record time. Roisin, who had moved to a different line was still waiting.

What's the hold up', I asked.
‘It's my bottle of perfume',
she replied. ‘It's the only liquid I had so I didn't put it in a plastic bag, I just took it out of my hand luggage and put it in the tray along with the rest of my stuff. He has now
The Pink Lionesses need a helping hand!!The Pink Lionesses need a helping hand!!The Pink Lionesses need a helping hand!!

Now there's something you don't see everyday!!
taken the bottle away with him.'

10 minutes later, the security man returned. ‘ I'm sorry madam; you will have to put it in a plastic bag. You can purchase then behind you for £1!!'
‘What!'
exclaimed Roisin?Even if it is 1 bottle? Can't I just take it through?
‘Not unless it's in a clear plastic bag!"'
‘That's ridiculous!
Them is the rules, madam. I don't make them. I'm just doing my job.


I felt like saying, ‘THOSE ARE the rule, THOSE ARE…' but I think he would probably turn to me and say ‘Exactly, sir! I'm glad you understand!!!!

The flight passed without incident. Roisin was happy because we had a row of 3 to ourselves. We arrived on schedule at 11am local time to Marco Polo airport. We stopped at a kiosk where Roisin bought a bottle of Aqua Minerale and a packet of polos.

‘You've never bought a packet of Polos since I've known you', I said. Just because you're in Venice its not a proper souvenir., I don't think there is any connection between an Italian explorer of the 16th century and the mint with a hole!!!

As the author of the book, ‘All taxi drivers are bastards!' we decided to take the bus to our hotel on the outskirts of Venice in Tessera. Not knowing how much the fare would cost, I had a €10 note ready. The couple in front of us were travelling all the way to the train station and it out cost them €4.80. As our stop was only half this distance I quickly changed the 10 to a €5 note. It got better, we punched our destination in to the machine and the price was revealed…€2.60. OK, now we are in to slummy territory!!! If you're like me, you always arrive home from a European destination with a shed load of coins. Take them with you on your next trip. They come in useful on public transport, especially in Italy!!

So, we've arrived. Venice. Venezia. How come, Amsterdam is always referred to as the ‘Venice of the North' yet you never hear anyone refer to Venice as the ‘Amsterdam of the South' So, as I said, we had arrived in Venice, the Amsterdam of the South…!!!

We found the Hotel Venice Resort where Google earth said it would be. About 200m from the bus stop in a rural county lane. Our first impression as we entered the drive way is a typical ‘el Rancho' villa. There were a few buildings that made up the hotel complex, painted in a distinguishable pale yellow and with archways on all the lower façades becoming of any Mediterranean homestead (despite being on the Adriatic!!). The hotel looked like it had been a farm estate in years gone by. I hope we weren,t sleeping tonight in the converted chicken coop!!.

Wow! This is a new experience for us. It is the first time we have been in a hotel with an upstairs within the room!!

Gone are the days of Gideon. During my customary rummaging of the drawers, I came across a book: ‘Dalla mente al cuore', Translated meansOut of the head and into the mind', an insight, tips and ideas and rules for success. The author is Franz X Bühler. This seemed a strange choice of books to be pushing especially when it is advertised that it is available to purchase at the hotel reception. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the hotel is run by the Bühler family!! This was only volume 1 as well!! Once you subscribe to these things you'll receive one through the post each month…with no obligation, of course!!

After freshening up, we headed out. Our plan was to do a dry run to the cruise terminal so we knew exactly how to get there when we do it for real tomorrow. Before heading in to Venice, we took lunch at a nearby restaurant. I couldn't believe the prices. A Pizza was between €6-8. That's even cheaper than Frankie and Benny's!! In Venice it would cost at least double that amount. In the ‘expensive' replica that is La Venezia, Las Vegas you could probably least add a nought on the end!!!

We arrived at Piazzale Roma where we crossed the square and headed for the People Mover. This is a monorail that takes traveller from the Piazzale Roma through to the cruise terminal. It only takes a few minutes and costs €1 but it certainly takes the hassle out of messing around with taxis!!

On arriving at the cruise terminal, one of the Costa ships were tied up; the Costa Fascinosa. We both recognised it from the distinct yellow funnel although last time we saw one it was in more or a horizontal position! This one seemed to be very much afloat although there were ropes holding her in place!! Why, when you see a Costa ship does it always make you feel like a coffee??!! Helen's favourite ship, the Ventura, was moored alongside it.

Rather then head back via the people mover, we decide to take the scenic route and board a varporetto. These are small ferries that hop between various stages of Venice. We took this particular one to Zattere. We strolled along the quay toward the Punta della Dogana. This gave a fine view of the majestic Santa Maria della Salute. This baroque church has stood for over 300 years and was built to offer thanks for the end of a catastrophic plague of 1630 that wiped out a third of the lagoons inhabitants.

The Punta della Dogana is a narrow peninsula that forms the other side of the main artery through Venice, the Grand Canal. We were seeing Venice from a different perspective. From this point there are fantastic views across to the tourist trap that is San Marco. This is a place we have avoided this time around. However, it is a must for every ‘first timer' as the buildings and ambience epitomises all that is associated with Venice

Gondolas have been around since 11th century but have sadly declined from 14,000 to around 400. It felt like 399 were all on the canal at the same time. I would have said 400 but we did spot 1 sorry looking gondolier. All alone, looking out at all the other happy gondoliers going about their business!

Why is it that all the punters (no pun intended) in the gondolas look uncomfortable? Is it because we're all gawping at them knowing they have paid around €80 for the privilege. Or is it because the gondolas are being tossed around due to all the other (bigger) traffic on the Grand canal?

We also spotted 1 Gondolier who was wearing a non-stripy t-shirt. Ouch! If I'd just forked out €80 and my gondolier wasn't wearing the correct kit.; somehow I'd feel cheated!!

We saw something you don't see every day. 6 ladies dressed in pink wearing pink life jackets sitting in a longboat being lowered into the canal by a crane. The name of the ship of their boat said, ‘Pink Lioness in Venice'. We learned later that they are in training for La Vogolonga. This occurs 2 Sundays after Ascension and literally means ‘Long row' Hundreds of rowing boats follow a 20-mile course from the Basino di San Marco to Burano and the San Francesco del Deserto. Boats come from all over Europe. We even spotted the Irish entry. This race seemed to be a maritime version of Eurovision . However, looking at the state of the Irish rowers, they'd probably feel more at home onIt's a Knock Out'!!!

Murano, an Island further out in the Laguna, is famed for it's glassware. If we have time on our return next week, we'll try to head out that way. Some of the glass has made it's way to the shops of Venice. We entered a few to admire the intricate craftsmanship. I admired the abstract designs of the wine bottle stoppers. These would certainly make someone a nice present for Christmas or otherwise. I know many people who enjoy drinking wine but I can't think of any who would have still have some left in the bottle at the end of an evening in order to put the bottle stopper to good use!!!!

We walked down as far as Accademia where we boarded the next Vaporetto to take us back to Piazzale Roma. This meandered down the rest of the Grand Canal. The banks are lined with over 200 grand palaces or ornate houses, some as splendid as the day they were built, others awaiting their turn of renovation. This trip culminates in passing under the Rialto Bridge. This bridge divides the city into two. The San Marco side is also known as Rialto di quà (this side) and the left bank known as the Rialto di là (t'other side)!!!

We ate dinner at the same place we took lunch. Roisin was concerned when she saw Calazone Cavallina on the menu that consisted of Mozzarella, tomato and….Frayed Horse.

I reassured Roisin that this must be one of a new line recently brought out by Frayed Bentos!!!!

So, tomorrow we Board the MSC Magnifica for our 7-day odyssey. We are sure the ship will live up to its name!

So what do we think of Venice? It has a charm and ambience despite some parts in dire need of restoration. It may not be as rich, perfect or as shiny white-teethed as it's younger alter ego in Nevada. The canals may have a slight odour about them but it's the smell of success, of having lived. The Amsterdam of the South is rich…in history making the whole Venice experience real, not an expensive illusion!


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



5th May 2012

Have a wonderful cruise you two. Great start to the blog with gorgeous photos. Looking forward to reading about your new adventure.Thanks for the name check!!!
5th May 2012

Enjoy your holiday Chris = Venice looks amazing.
5th May 2012

Fab commentary as always, I love Venice (last time I was there was for a Fiscalis). Enjoy - and looking forward to the next instalment x
5th May 2012

Great idea for the Mersey Docks - VATman rides again!
6th May 2012

Been to Venice at least 10 times it's my favourite place and your blogg is brilliant. Have a great trip and keep up the bloggs
6th May 2012

Its still a liquid!!! 1 bottle or not... Oh Roisin an you r usually sooo organised :-) at least they didn't take it of u though. That's happened to me b4 now :) 1 x 100ml full bottle of d&g.. I don't believe for a second it went in the
bin :) xx
6th May 2012

R love it. I soooo wanna b on 1 of those gondolas right now :) did they sing to you.? ''just one cornettto''

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb