Italy Day 4 - More Roman adventures


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 11th 2014
Published: October 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

ColosseumColosseumColosseum

The size of this stadium and the fact that it is still standing is hard to believe after the centuries have passed it by. The pathways you see on the floor were under wooden floor of the Colosseum. These are the halls where the people moved about before they came above on the floor.
We began the day a little later than normal, because we were not going to the Wednesday morning event at St. Peter’s Square. Some 100,000- or 200,000 of the faithful show up to hear what he has to say, get his blessing, and purchase souvenirs. That being the case, our hotel cleared out early, and we could catch our bus at 9:00 and go the Colloseum for our tour.

After the Colosseum tour, we walked over to the Forum. If you have a hard time walking, this city isn’t for you. Cobblestones, rough basalt bricks, and lots of steps, put a few of our group on the sideline while others walked.

About noon, our tour guide had to leave us, (end of contracted period) and had another group to lead, so we returned to the hotel. We discussed the options for ‘free time’, and decided that a trip to the Appian Way and a catacomb would make a nice afternoon. We inquired of Francisca the best way to do that. Get a cab! We were thinking a bike tour, but Roman traffic being what it is, we opted for the cab. 5 of us got in a cab, and
Francesca educating us.Francesca educating us.Francesca educating us.

She is letting us know what all the sites are on the grounds, as well as around the Colosseum. The Forum is here as well. Francesca spoke excellent English, and understood it as well.
MAMMA MIA! What a ride. Disneyworld has nothing to match it. The whole traffic thing is a culture in itself. When you get behind the wheel, you must have graduated with high honors from the school of “playing chicken with cars”. It was amazing. Yet, we saw no dents in parked cars, or cars on the street. We saw little scooters, Vespas, Hondas, etc., darting in and out of cars, and lane markings are for the high department to have something to do. They don’t mean anything. You want to turn, turn, someone will stop, or if they don’t you do, then continue your turn. The best entertainment of any trip so far. Narrow streets, one way streets, lanes marked pedestrian only, it doesn’t matter, we took them. We could have been on some streets where James Bond films were shot, as he races down the lane with half inch clearance on each mirror.

We got to the catacomb around 2, toured, and then came out about 3, and had a huge crowd waiting to go in. I think we got in ahead of the folks that were in St. Peter’s Square. Going back to the hotel from the
Francesca and the ColosseumFrancesca and the ColosseumFrancesca and the Colosseum

Towards the end of the tour, we had he take a picture with us.
Colosseum, we noticed several roads blocked with police guards, so people could walk from St. Peter’s back to hotels, shops, etc. This was before the cab ride. After the cab ride, I now know why the police blocked the street.

We got back about 5, freshened up a tiny bit, and met to select spot for dinner. A great place, recommended by the bartender, turned out to be wonderful. Of course, this close to the Mediterranean, you just have to eat seafood. We did, and it was wonderful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A Couple of the playersA Couple of the players
A Couple of the players

These guys had a gig somewhere on the grounds. Here they are I guess trying to figure where they are going to get a cold one after they get done.
Janet and another Arch of Victory.Janet and another Arch of Victory.
Janet and another Arch of Victory.

Every time someone won a battle, they built an arch to remember it by. Sometimes, they tore down an arch and reused the materials. They recycled long before it was popular.
Appian Way Appian Way
Appian Way

The Via Appia was beautiful. It was a road built by Rome to move troops and supplies. It was begun in 312 BC, and was 480 miles long and connected Rome to Naples, pretty much ignoring the natural contour of the land.
Excavation is still going on at the ForumExcavation is still going on at the Forum
Excavation is still going on at the Forum

They find new things to dig up and study, There are new digs going on.
The "cab" driver who took us to the Appian WayThe "cab" driver who took us to the Appian Way
The "cab" driver who took us to the Appian Way

We went to visit the Catacombs and then walk the Appian way, which part of has been turned into a green space, protected.
Some of at a wonderful DinnerSome of at a wonderful Dinner
Some of at a wonderful Dinner

Recommended by the bartender at the hotel. Food and company were great
Coming out of the CatacombsComing out of the Catacombs
Coming out of the Catacombs

In this one catacomb, they have already found 4 levels of crypts, 11 miles of passage ways, and finding more as they search. This was a very interesting visit, learning how they dug out the passages, and buried their dead. No pictures because no camera, no phones, no pictures.


12th October 2014

Day 4
What is in the middle of the colloseum? I always thought it was flat inside. The catacombs sounder really cool. I'm guessing no cameras/phones with flash were allowed.
12th October 2014

Day 4
What is in the middle of the colloseum? I always thought it was flat inside. The catacombs sounder really cool. I'm guessing no cameras/phones with flash were allowed.
10th March 2017

Little slow getting to "reply"
The floor was flat, but covered the tunnels below where the "contestants" prepared, and were held. You are seeing the "basement" without the ceiling over it. :-)
24th October 2014

Rome
Great shot of the colosseum. Would love to see that one day.

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb