Italy Day 5 - Riding North to Lucca


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
October 12th 2014
Published: October 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The road to Lucca.

The bus went on the road, the map just has a blue line, but you get the idea.

We didn't order bird.We didn't order bird.We didn't order bird.

Off the square in Siena, we had some Pizza at a quaint little shop.
We packed out bags for pickup at 7:30 for departure to Lucca tonight. Along the way, we stopped in Sienna to eat lunch, walk alot, see little alleys, a church, aka Domo, public square, hall of justice, and get some history about the city.

In Houston, the old section of town, buildings are from 1935, here, 1435 is considered historic. Lots of nice frescos, and it seems they are still finding stuff.

The church we toured, was very pretty, and we were fortunate because the floor of this church has 38 panels of inlaid marble in the floor, that tells the bible stories from creation through Christ's Redemption. The artists, forty of them, laid these out between 1347 - 1547. The floor is only uncovered to view two months of the year. This was one of those months, so we could see them. They are roped off so you can't walk on them, but you could see them. After this month, they will be covered again, and the church used as a church instead of museum. The craftsmen that did the work were artists indeed.

About 5PM we got back on the bus and rested our feet and
Siena Square Il CampoSiena Square Il CampoSiena Square Il Campo

This square is huge. Once per year they have horse races around the square. The posts on the edge of the square mark the spot where all the people must be. They are on the inside center part of the square. Horses race around the outside. When it rains, all the water runs into channels below and is used. It is a big bowl, draining to the left in the center of the left side.
continued on to Lucca.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The public hall museum.The public hall museum.
The public hall museum.

As you can tell, they didn't use much wallpaper. They just hired an artist, to paint the walls, ceilings, etc. Always with some story that needed to be told, since not everybody could read. The big rooms were where people met the visitors.
The DuomoThe Duomo
The Duomo

I didn't catch the name of the Duomo, just that it was the Duomo, the Cathedral.
Inside the Duomo (Cathedral)Inside the Duomo (Cathedral)
Inside the Duomo (Cathedral)

So much artistic talent was around that is hard to believe how they could make such beautiful work. They didn't have the Black & Decker high intensity lights to light up what they were doing. And, these were not contracted out to low bid. Beauty!
Duomo Duomo
Duomo

You can see the marble layers on the columns. All hand cut, and very pretty. The floor is roped off to keep you from walking on it, because after 700 years, it is beginning to show some wear.
I tried to get a picture of the stained glass window.I tried to get a picture of the stained glass window.
I tried to get a picture of the stained glass window.

Something was hanging in the way on the left.
The ceiling.The ceiling.
The ceiling.

Such bright colors, after so many years.
And we cap off the trip with dinner before checking inAnd we cap off the trip with dinner before checking in
And we cap off the trip with dinner before checking in

A little place in Lucca where we pulled in to have dinner before checking into the hotel.


15th October 2014
The Duomo

Day 5
Those are great pictures. I like the leaning tower of Pisa picture. That's not an angle I have seen before.
24th October 2014

Duomo
Beautiful church. Great capture of the stained glass.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb