Killarney


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
July 30th 2023
Published: August 1st 2023
Edit Blog Post

We took the train from Dublin to Killarney. It was about a 2 1/2 hour trip with one change. The change was a mad dash with no time to spare to get on the other train. The next leg from Killarney to Galway has two changes and has us thinking about alternatives. It is apparent from the number of tourists from several different countries in Dublin, Killarney, and on the train that people are out and traveling. Killarney is a small town next to Killarney National Park and close to the Kerry and Dingle peninsulas. We stayed at the Great Southern Hotel which is close to the train station as well as the central Killarney. The hotel has a long history and several dignitaries have stayed there. The Killarney National Park attracts numerous tourists due to the natural beauty as well as the history of the region. The Muckross House in the park was built in 1800s but given to the Irish nation by the Bourne family who also built the Filoli house and garden in Woodside, Ca. A good day and half was spent at several sights in the park including Torc waterfall, Ross Castle, Muckross Abbey, traditional farm and beautiul gardens.

We took tours of the Ring of Kerry and Dingle which included some beautiful sights. The weather did not cooperate much on the Ring of Kerry tour but I guess thats what allows Ireland to be called the Emerald Isle! Had much better weather the next day for Dingle. Did not realize how many movies were filmed in this area including Star Wars, Ryans Daughter and Far and Away.

Also, was surprised that in some areas Gaelic is still widely spoken. Gravestones, street signs and buildings all use Gaelic. Apparently, there is a move to preserve Irish culture and language as some schools teach the entire curriculum in Gaelic.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

PEATPEAT
PEAT

Used for insulation, heating and scotch


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb