Glaciers, Icebergs and Reindeer


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » East
June 2nd 2015
Published: June 2nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Sunday

We arrive in Djupivogur at 8 and have to take tenders into the dock. There we get on our bus for our Glacier Lagoon tour. The drive there was about 2 hours but on the way we saw reindeer. They are not native to Iceland but were brought here about 200 years ago and have made it their home. Once we arrived to the glacier lagoon, we could see the icebergs on the beach and walk down to them and then we took a ducky boat tour of the lagoon. We could get up close to the icebergs. In the distance we could see the glaciers. It was very cold here and the wind was blowing but Shelly wanted to make it look warm so she unzipped her coat for most of the pictures. I stayed bundled up.

The Glacier is Vatnajokull and is the largest European glacier. On the drive in we saw several of the fingers off the glacier connected to the main glacier. The lagoon was formed because the glacier never made it to the sea so it dug a ditch but was never connected to the sea so never formed a fjord. On the drive back we stopped and had lunch with some local fish and meats, including reindeer and then we had soup. I got the lobster soup and it had huge chunks of lobster. Shelly got the vegetable soup and it looked delicious. Our bus was late getting back to the dock (as was the one behind us) but since it was a trip put on by the ship and there were 80 passengers between the 2 busses, they held the ship for us. We departed an hour late. Dinner tonight is a sit down dinner and there is a crew show later tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

DSCF7287DSCF7287
DSCF7287

this one looks like a sea horse
DSCF7276DSCF7276
DSCF7276

too bad this one didn't fall while we were watching
DSCF7255DSCF7255
DSCF7255

this one looks like a seal
DSCF7329DSCF7329
DSCF7329

reindeer
DSCF7320DSCF7320
DSCF7320

it's a cold seat


Tot: 0.705s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.3431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb