Saturday at the Park


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Southern Transdanubia » Siklos
September 16th 2006
Published: September 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was another beautiful day although it is raining now at 9:00pm. We just got back from the best restaurant that we have gone to yet. It was called Spinoza's and in the Jewish section not too far from the hotel.
Most of the people here in the middle of the city live in apartments and there is not even a little bit of grass anywhere. About a block from the hotel is a little playground for the neighborhood children and it has a security guard to let people in and out. We have seen what looks like daycare teachers taking small children to play during the day. It gets really busy in the late afternoon until dark so the children can get outside. We haven't seen a private residence the whole time we were here. They must be on the outer parts of the city.
We went to a very large park today that was very busy. We zipped over on the mMetro. We are getting pretty bold about using the Metro and haven't gotten completely lost yet. The park has some thermal pools that people go to for health reasons and the Baths were some of the prettiest we have seen. The lobby of the baths were very ornate and we'll have a few pictures of it. The zoo and the planetarium are also on the grounds. The entrance to the park is a very large square that commemorates King Stephen and his noble knights. He freed the Hungarians from the Atilla the Hun in the 1200's. Chrissy was talking to Josef Atilla in one picture who is a descendent of Atilla the Hun. He gave the westernmost post of his empire to his younger brother, Buda, and they named the town for him.
There is also a castle with a proper moat and we walked over it and was looking at the small, ornate chapel when a wedding party showed up to be married there. It was quite interesting and, in fact, we saw about 5 wedding couples having their pictures taken in the park. There was also a place where they could have concerts and and they had a basketball tournament for school-age children. There were about 200 or so kids taking part. It was fun to watch for a while. We enjoyed ourselves and it was fun to see all the families enjoying the aprk too.
I have no idea what Jim has planned for us tomorrow, but it may rain and Chrissy and I can have a day of rest. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.
Jim, Shirley and the ever-persevering Chrissy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb