2 more stops in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese
May 24th 2017
Published: May 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Two more Greek locations down with two more to go before our departure back to the states. We have been filled with Greek mythology the last two days, so I am hoping the next two stops will be more relaxing. The last two stops were Katakalon and Itea, each being home to some gems of Greek history. Yesterday we went to Ancient Olympia where we toured the uncovered ruins dating back to the 7th century BC. This was the site of the original Olympic games between the not so friendly city-states of ancient Greece. Our guide did a fantastic job of depicting the times and really bringing the location back to life. It is so amazing to hear how much they accomplished and the complex structures they built so long ago. After the morning tour, everyone from the yacht was taken to a local farm where they produce olive oil. It was a family operated farm with some animals as well as olive trees, a big vegetable garden and a vineyard. We learned a little bit about how olive oil is produced and they made us a traditional Greek lunch! Following lunch was a shot and lots of Greek dancing with everyone from the boat! All aboard and off to the next stop in Itea. Here we took a tour of Delphi; the home of the famous Oracle, a place where the common man as well as nobles and kings came to get a telling of the future. This was another location with a lot of ruins dating back to the 6th century BC. The stop in Itea was a quick one and we are now sailing off through the Corinth Canal! This is a highlight of the trip as the canal is hardly big enough to squeeze our boat through! Another highlight of the trip was Scott and I getting to go to the ship’s bridge and see all the boat controls. There was a very friendly 3rd officer that happily showed us around and answered all our questions! The cruise has been such an amazing way to see multiple locations without the stress of moving around. The group on the boat is a bit older, however we are melding in nicely with the crowd. We are also not the youngest! We met another honeymooning couple that are from Mexico City. We have really enjoyed our cruise with the small group and have met some great people that are all very friendly and interesting!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb