We’re about to crawl!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Dimitsana
August 30th 2023
Published: August 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Geography first. Drove over the Corinthian Canal, pretty close to Kalamata, into the Menalon Hills, close to Sparta and … Well how good is that? But we are here in Stemnista, not big enough to register a mention on the app here but big on the lovely scale. Welcomed into our new home, made to feel very welcome, feed via ‘lunch from breakfast’ program that has been instituted on an almost compulsory basis for quite a while. In Greece it works well as in addition to the cheese, meats and pretty good bread you also get some pastries such as spanakopita which travel surprisingly well and eat surprisingly well cold.

Getting here was a 2 hour bus from Central Athens to Tripoli then a taxi with Mr Andrianous. The taxi drivers for the village have their names and phone numbers prominently displayed in the town square and all are referred to using the ‘Mr‘ honorific. Obviously drove over the Corinthian Canal which has a significantly bigger role in history than it’s role in our travels today because we had crossed it and left it far behind before I could open my iPad and try for a photo. Caught regular glimpses of turns for Kalamata and Sparta so luckily it was not me driving or there would have been a few detours.

Up to the Menalon Trail information place, which sounds grand but which in reality is one informed person, a table and a cupboard. The informed person was delightful and helpful which anytime is a good combination. We received our Menalon Trail T-shirts and map, a few instructions and a few warnings (the dogs that guard the sheep here can cause concerns). But we are ready to walk. Only trouble is we don’t commence tomorrow! Me being a little unsure about the journey here allowed an extra day to recover not realising we probably didn’t need it.

After that it’s coffee time. How Greek are we? Well really one expresso and one English tea! Well perhaps not so Greek now! There are 3 cafes, one restaurant, a place to buy beer and some drinks (the same place as the Menalon Trail office) but no supermarket, no ATM and really not much else. There is a bakery but we have not seen that yet.

Our accomodation has other guests who are walking the same trail but they commence tomorrow, so hopefully as they leave they may be replaced with walkers that start on the same day as us.

Must go plug in, ready for food photos tonight.

Caio for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb