That’s all folks.


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete » Sfakiá
September 13th 2023
Published: September 13th 2023
Edit Blog Post

That’s all folks, the fat lady has sung, there are no more, mind your p’s and q’s, call it stumps, pack up your marbles and it’s time to go home. And that’s what we are doing tomorrow except home for a while will be Singapore.

Last night was souvlaki time. Can you have too many souvlaki? We don’t think so. Here they are different to the wrap we get at home, here are souvlaki are gyros and souvlaki is skewered meat on a stick (our kebabs). It whatever the answer is probably no. They always represent good value, although not as good as gyros that we have paid as little as €3.20 for good ones. The souvlaki is usually about €8 which when compared to my shrimp dish the other evening at €18 works out pretty well. Anyway a souvlaki each and a shared Greek salad feeds as really well. If viewed through the the Mythos beer though everything if good.

The walk today was given as about 8 km but was significantly further so the times were badly underestimated meaning the 4 hours took 6 hours and that is always tough. You are geared up, prepared and ready for 4 hours som6 seems tough. But it was through various environmental zones (coastal, villages, gorge, barren hills) so the walk was interesting. There were sections where rock scrambling was necessary and that makes progress slow and others where the trail clung quite precariously to quite precipitous cliff faces. There aren’t many photos of that particular section as I had to put the iPad away so I had 2 hands available.

Then a coastal walk, into Loutro. Such a pretty village from any angle. Framed by towering hills and turquoise seas its white and blue buildings scream Greek village and then with no cars it has a quiet and calm atmosphere that’s quite charming. As well I can buy a 1.5 litre soft drink for a two-thirds of the price of a 0.33 litre can at the beach in the photos!

So from Slovenia’s Juliana Trail and Greece’s Menalon Trail and Coast to Coast in Crete that’s all folks. About 450 km in total and I’d hate to think how many Radlers, beers and lemonades but that’s it.

Maybe have a little blog from Singapore but we have to get there first. That’s tomorrow’s job.

Caio for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0878s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb