The Palace Park


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
June 12th 2014
Published: June 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The weather forecast was for thunderstorms (which never materialized) so we chose to use the public transportation system again today to do further exploration of the city. We feel pretty proud of ourselves for figuring out the system (more or less) in such a timely manner. Usually the last day or two in a place is when we finally get it!

Our destination --Nymphenburg Palace--not the interior just the outside grounds. We certainly were not expecting what we found. The grounds are enormous--one square mile--with a bathhouse, pagoda, temple gazebo, canals, waterfalls, two lakes, swans, flower gardens, statues, and walking trails through the woods. We spent half the day here wandering around.

The Palace was built in 1662 as a summer get away from Munich. The Wittelsbach family still live in one wing of the palace. It is hard to imagine that type of lifestyle. We were just appreciative of the fact that they have opened the grounds to the public.

We ended the day with a short bicycle ride to the local bier garten for dinner and a refreshment. This bier garten is one of the several in the English Garden park. There are at least 100 tables and benches. You can bring your own food or buy food there. Of course the beer comes in half liters or the more popular liter mugs. There is a large screen so you won't miss the all important futboll (soccer) games and a stage for live music when there is no futbool to watch. The place was pretty full and it was a Wednesday night. Imagine what it is like during Octoberfest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The pondThe pond
The pond

In the 1700's guests to the palace would take gondola rides down the canal and end st this pond


Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb