A Great City


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
June 13th 2014
Published: June 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Jerry went off on his own little adventure this morning. He visited the BMW motorcycle showroom. They are made right here in Munich. He felt like a kid in a candy store. There were three floors of motorcycles on display. He had a great time looking them all over. I am a little surprised that he came home by way of the subway and bus. I half expected to hear him drive up with a new motorcycle. But even though he didn't buy he sure had fun window shopping.

When he got home we hopped on the bicycles and headed out of town to the south of Munich. The bike paths along the river are beautiful. The river is clean and pretty and the trees along the river are beautiful. And much to our surprise there were bier gartens all along the way. It seems to us that if you are in Munich you are never more than 5 minutes, ten at the most, away from a bier garten.

We rode about 7 miles out of town and had lunch at one of the many bier gartens. While waiting for our lunch we head music. There were three large wooden rafts floating down river. Each had about 20 people on board singing and, of course, drinking beer. That was fun to watch.

After lunch we wandered back to town. On our way to a recommended bier garten, we came across the Bavarian Octoberfest fairgrounds. It was vacant now but during Octoberfest, which lasts about two weeks, every night there are eight tents full of about 6000 people in each tent. A milion gallons of beer later the party is over. What a celebration.

So we finally found Augustiner Bier Garten. It is right downtown, seats several hundred people, has good local food, plenty of beer, and is a favorite of the locals. We had meatballs, dumplings, potato salad, pretzel and of course beer.

It was time to head home we had been riding our bikes all afternoon, probably around 35 miles. We had a great ride in the country along the river and then right through downtown in the bike lane during rush hour traffic and ending up peacefully through the English Garden to home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



7th September 2014
A big pretzel to go with the big beer!

Small portions
Always love these small beers!

Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb