Munich, Germany - Frauenkirche


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
September 28th 2007
Published: December 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Frauenkirche is another amazing 13th-14th century church. "Domkirche zu unserer lieben Frau" is the official name for Frauenkirche. We took a look around and then went for it to the top of the tower. Thankfully (unlike the tower in Venice) we only had to take 180 steps up one of the 2 towers, and for the rest there is a lift to the top. The view is fantastic. You can see the Oktoberfest grounds and the Olympia Tower and all the colors of the town of Munich. Lots of rustic reds, muted greens, yellows and beiges. All my favorite mix of colors!

In addition to the grand towers there is an interesting legend about this church. Legend has it there is a Teufelstritt, or Devil's Footstep, at the entrance. This is a black mark resembling a footprint with a small hooked tail at the heel, which, according to legend, was where the devil stood when he curiously regarded and ridiculed the "windowless" church that Halsbach had built. In fact, it is a large casting in the square base plate, and none of the side windows can be seen from the spot when one looks to the high altar. In another Version of the Legend the devil made a deal with the builder that no windows were to be built in the church. But the devil was tricked by the clever builder who had set the columns so that you couldn't see a single window from a certain spot in the entrance hall where the devil stood. When the devil found out he was tricked the church was already consecrated so he couldn't enter but left a footprint at the entrance where he madly stomped his foot.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb