A Dreary Day in Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
May 24th 2023
Published: May 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Hohenschwangau Castle Hohenschwangau Castle Hohenschwangau Castle

The only castle King Ludwig II actually lived in.
We awoke to another gray and dreary morning in Fuessen. Today was our scheduled trip to Neuschwanstein, Mad King Ludwig's famed castle. I was hoping to get "the picture" from the Maria Bridge which was one of the reasons for our trip. Unfortunately the bridge was completely enveloped in fog and the castle could not be seen. The walk traveling from the bridge to the castle in the rain was not enjoyable. As we made our way to the castle the mist became a heavy rain with no place to stand under cover. A kind worker at the castle allowed us in a covered courtyard area to await our entry time. We did complete the tour inside seeing the mostly empty rooms and climbing dozens of steps to do so. I knew that there was very little in the castle as it was never finished before Ludwig II died, but our wait to get in was longer than the actual tour.

After leaving the castle we continued on to Lindau, an island in Lake Constance and Birnau, the home of a beautiful basilica. In Lindau we walk to the harbor where the lighthouse stands and a lion guarding entry to the island. There is also a tower by the water with what appears to be Rapunzel's long blond braid hanging from a window. We find a warm area for a bit to eat for lunch and with what has seemed to be the norm we had dessert, Apple Strudel, for lunch along with hot chocolate. We had long ago given up on coffee and turn to hot chocolate for a warm drink with some caffine.

Our last stop for the day before stopping for the night was Birnau, the home of a beautiful Baroque church.

The day remained cloudy but the rain at least had stopped and we spent the night in the Black Forest area having a delicious stuffed chicken dinner and black forest cake for dessert.

Tomorrow we will be stopping in Heidelberg as we make our way back to Frankfurt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

 Little Waterfall Little Waterfall
Little Waterfall

On the walk down from Neuschwanstein
Tower at LindauTower at Lindau
Tower at Lindau

Can you see Rapunzel's braid?


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb