Our Final Day in Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Heidelberg
May 25th 2023
Published: May 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, May 25, was our last full day in Germany before flying home early on the 26th. The hotel we stayed at in the Black Forest had a house sized cuckoo clock that we made sure we saw in action before we left. Our adventure today took us to the university town of Heidelberg. This was our second visit to Heidelberg so we had seen much of the city in the past. We did not get to the university section this visit. We took the funicular to the castle and spent some time there as much of it was behind scaffolding on our last visit. We took time to walk out on the terrace to overlook the city and take in the thought that Fred's paternal family lived just up the Neckar River in Binau am Neckar. Perhaps he still has relatives living there.

From there we made our way back down and walked to the Old Bridge (Monkey Bridge). At the bridge sits a monkey that has a number of legends surrounding it. One such legend says that if a visitor touches the sign of horns, they will return to Heidelberg. If a visitor touches the mirror, they will become wealthy, and if they touch the mice next to the monkey, they will have many children. On our last visit I touched the mirror but did not get the wealth, however Fred placed his hat upon the horns and we did indeed return.

From the bridge we went back to the square and had our last bratwurst in Germany.

Tomorrow we will fly home with lots of memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb