A Rainy Day in Fussen


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
May 23rd 2023
Published: May 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post

We woke up on Tuesday morning, the 23rd, to rain and fog. Our excursion for today was to travel to the top of Germany's highest mountain, The Zugspitze. Needless to say the trip was cancelled as there was no visibility on the mountain top thus the transportation to the top was not operating. This now gave us the whole day free in Fuessen. Our first adventure was to search for two geocaches a short distance away in a little park. It looked innocent enoughuntil we found we were climbing almost straight uphill. The rain had brought out both snails and slugs on the path. From the path we got a look at the Forggensee off in the distance. After a successful climb up and back down we returned to our room for a bit before venturing out into the old city.

Hoping for little or no rain we headed out to explore and find some lunch. Füssen is the home of the St. Mang's Benedictine Monastery and the Basilica of St. Mang's. High on the hill is the High Palace. We did not get up to the High Palace as the rain started to fall, so we went into the Basilica to enjoy the beauty within. The town has a number of fountains dedicated to various things or people and lots of little shops. We had lunch at an Asian restaurant of delicious Won Ton soup and Spring rolls.

We took a break and headed back to the hotel for a while during the afternoon stopping along the way to see the Krippkirche, a little church tucked in among the shops along the street. When we returned to the city for dinner we walked along the River Lech that borders the Old City and ended up at a Pizza restaurant for dinner.

We are hoping for better weather tomorrow for our trip to Neuschwanstein Castle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb