Cannes can


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 5th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.5509, 7.01059

A beautiful sight awaited when we awoke to find that we were moored off Cannes. So much better than Monte-Carlo. It is a very attractive town. We walked around the town and up to the Fort and the Church of St. Nicholas via lovely narrow winding paths with lots of shops and restaurants. There is also a lovely covered market selling fruit, vegetables, flowers and fish etc.displayed as only the French can do. We stop for the inevitable pit stop but not for the usual biere but as we are in Provence we have the Cote de Provence Rose, which is gorgeous. It is then on to the Palais des Festivals where all the stars come for the film festival. They stay at the most expensive hotels such as the Majestic and the Carlton. Unfortunately the red carpet was not laid out for us, a major omission about which we complained! The first of the areas in the Palais is dedicated to Louis Lumiere, who apparantly is the inventor of the cinema. He bought a house in Cannes and showed the first moving film of a train arriving at the station. The story goes that all the people watching the film panicked and rushed out because they thought a train was heading straight for them!! It was obviously better than todays 3D! From the Palais we walked back to where the tender was waiting to take us back to our ship and a long lunch washed down with lots of Minuty rose wine.
There were only 3 of us on the Trivia team but despite this we came 3rd. Havent won the daily quiz yet despite getting only 2 wrong each day. I think some people are cheating and using the internet!
Already we are meeting nice people to have dinner with and for the second time we did not make the show. There is a huge range of ages on board, a few teenagers but also a family with baby and another couple with their 4 and 6 year olds. These two girls have been taught that all they have to do on the top deck is raise their arm and a waiter will come by and attend to their drinks order. We approve. Bring children up properly. Cannot wait to get our grandson aboard a cruise.
At the end of the evening it is lovely to be on the top deck and watch as we sail away from Cannes, the stars beginning to become brighter in the evening sky as we move away from land.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb