Camino de Santiago de Compostela - still in St. Jean


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
August 20th 2015
Published: August 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Displays of Basque fabricDisplays of Basque fabricDisplays of Basque fabric

Karen loves the colors and patterns native to this region.
Those of you who more or less know our itinerary expect is to start the Camino today. No we are still in St. Jean Pied de Port awaiting information about our bags.

Thursday, August 20

The day goes by without sight of any bags; but we manage to enjoy the ambiance of this picturesque village. We do a little shopping. We have discovered we like double socks so we locate several pair. Christine, our lovely source of all information, directs us to a 'pilgrim shop' across the street. Harlan finds a pair of cargo shorts to replace his good trousers. The salesgirl, who runs the shop, has a boyfriend who runs the same kind of shop on the Main Street of St. Jean. This street, Rue de la Citadelle is part of the actual Camino and always has throngs of people. It is in his shop that we find an inexpensive shirt for Harlan---BRIGHT blue with stripes on the shoulders that I am sure glow in the dark. We may not be able to find the trail in the dark without our headlamp but others will be able to find us. I find, per their instruction, a sporting good shop and locate a top made of cotton. I don't know what kind of cotton it is but it has the same feel as the one I have now had on my back since last Monday. It drys overnight and is so soft. I would have preferred another color-the pink reminds me of the Pepto Bismol of my childhood, but there is little choice unless I want to spring for some Columbia items, several of which I have in the missing bag and since hope springs eternal, I keep hoping I will see them again.

Nearby is Europe's ubiquitous Carrefour grocery store, that I understand we will see many times on our walk. We locate some familiar ice cream bars and sit in a grassy area next to the recycling center to enjoy them. Yes, we are in Basque Country as there is the huge Jai Lai center just down the street!

One shop that interests us is the beret shop. A good beret is almost de riguer in this area. These are fabricated in the shop and are so soft. They also assure us they are waterproof. I should have asked for a demonstration. They have a
Karen at the Pilgrim Office getting PassportKaren at the Pilgrim Office getting PassportKaren at the Pilgrim Office getting Passport

Two of the items in our missing luggage were our passport.
smaller size with a band inside that will allow the beret to grow with a child. They make them for the French army; they are delightful and I am so tempted. The proprietor looks at the girls pictures on Harlan's leather cuff bracelet that James has made for him and declares the blonde needs to wear the black and the ginger color haired child, that appears to be a little French waif, most certainly should wear the deep red beret. It is such a temptation but we have absolutely no room in our backpacks, thinking we would redistribute items from the pack, which was originally just to serve as only a day pack, we now must make room for the needed pair of extra socks or top number two! Oh well, I am sentimental and have these images of the girls treasuring these berets and handing them down to their children with the story of their nutty great grandparents who wanted to walk 500 miles in their seventies. Tomboy Lili would probably lose hers on the playground and Madeline might declare she would never wear a black hat-so there!

In the Basque region they have items made of textiles
Harlan with one of several Basque statuesHarlan with one of several Basque statuesHarlan with one of several Basque statues

Some cities have their cows, some their bears but here we see these
with stripes as the design. They are colorful and will work in almost any decor. I enjoy looking in the store windows at the 'stripe display.' Harlan is happy as he knows I will only be looking! He has become a master at packing that last little item that I feel I should have for our home---no option here 😊

We have lovely soup at our hotel--Basque vegetable. Don't know what makes it Basque but it is delicious. It comes in a metal tureen and we ladle it into our bowls!!

For dinner we return to the same restaurant and have the same meal sans the cod. The lamb comes with a huge salad but we, again, also order the vegetarian salad. The meat seems even more succulent and the sangria more delightful.

And so ends our day. And no news of bags from British Air (BA). And the decision that Harlan will start the first stage of the Camino tomorrow going the full distance to Roncesvalles in one day instead of the two we had planned.

Advertisement



31st August 2015

Your blogs
So appreciate being able to read your blogs & follow your adventure! Thanks so much!
31st August 2015

Enjoying the blogs
We are enjoying your blogs & adding our prayers to yours that you will be united with your luggage! We love vicariously being part of your adventure!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb