Nemours 2


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
October 7th 2008
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chateau de FontainebleauChateau de FontainebleauChateau de Fontainebleau

Sculpture in entrance
Monday night.

Next door was a restaurant called Grilpiz, we had two set menus €12.50 each. A spaghetti carbonara and chicken on Skewer.

Tuesday, 7th October, 2008.

Well the rain seems to be following us, looks damp out. The plan for today is to look around Fontainebleau. Pat wasn't feeling 100% so we had a slow start to the day.

We went to the local supermarket and stocked up on few sundry items.

Then off into Fontainebleau, and found the town centre underground car park.

Off on foot, we found the first nice cafe and had deux grand cremes, our usual.

This and some croissants and tuna sandwich, we bought round the corner started our day off. Pat was feeling much better by now.

We went to the Tourist office but of course it was closed for Lunch. Everything closes for lunch, nearly, in France.

The Chateau de Fontainebleau, really is a splendid place. Beautiful building, lovely gardens, carp ponds,lakes, about 1800 rooms, and really a palace. The place in Compiegne is thoroughly overshadowed by this place.

Just inside the entrance gates is what looks like some digging a hole type work, but, it is actually some sort of sculpture. There are all sorts of noises coming from it, jackhammers, drilling and the like, but it is recorded. A sign on the works says “Entrance to the centre of the earth”. Amusing, if nothing else.

The carp pond was massive, as were the carp. The pond was probably three football pitches in size, at least. The carp, I guess in their hundreds, were a good couple of feet in length. The ducks in the carp lake were frightened of them, not the other way around.

Pat remembered feeding the Carp from her time here as a child. She had kept a little of her croissant and tried to tempt them to the surface.

Inside the Chateau is shut every Tuesday. Just our luck. But we had a great time wandering around the gardens and the building itself. The weather had improved considerably by this time, and was showing 35°C when we sat down for a minute in the park.

We sauntered around the town, went to the Tourist Office to see if there was anything we might have missed, it didn't appear so, so we had another
Chateau de FontainebleauChateau de FontainebleauChateau de Fontainebleau

Staircase to front door
coffee and decided that we had finished with Fontainebleau.

We tried to find a site to look at the barges on the river, but ended up in a quaint place called Moret Sur Loing and had a very pleasant walk around this mediaeval village and looking at the water sluices.

Then back to the Hotel. Turned out to be another great day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Chateau de FontainebleauChateau de Fontainebleau
Chateau de Fontainebleau

Pigeon looking on while the Carp are being fed
Chateau de FontainebleauChateau de Fontainebleau
Chateau de Fontainebleau

Gardens and lakes
Chateau de FontainebleauChateau de Fontainebleau
Chateau de Fontainebleau

Statue in Diane's garden


Tot: 0.48s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb