Southern Europe - Day 2


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Nice
June 21st 2016
Published: June 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

This is the long haul flight. 12 hrs 20 mins. They decide to serve a full meal at midnight. Gotta go with that. Chris has worked the flat bed out again and is in no food mood so silence there. I go for the goods with bubbles to match the next leg of the trip.

Finally decide that food isn't a good idea and pass on the dessert. Flat bed awaits. Now we compare. Hmm, bed hard, not as roomy and blah blah. Getting picky now. no matter, sleep comes easily after a long day. After 4 hours of bliss, up for a stretch and whatever stop. Back to bed and asleep in no time. Eventually wake up after about 8 hours sleep. Hmm, complaints aside, can't be that bad.

Woken up for breakfast then we are about to land. Nice one.

Into the transit stage again, but this time with only a little over 1 hour to spare between flights. All good, out through customs (another stamp in the passport) then through security and into the next terminal. Did I tell you about German ways of doing things before, if not then here goes. Security line is fine, lots of business people at this time (0550) but we move into the queue. I slip through un-noticed, but as I turn around, Chris is being quizzed about something. Turns out they want the camera (SLR) in her carry on turned on to prove it is a camera. Done and we get a thank you....... Away to the lounge and a shower. Again German efficiency works, we have no problems getting into the lounge, but to get a shower, you have to sign your life (and second child) away. Who are you, where did you come from, where are you going to.......

Finally get into the shower, and boy does that feel good. Out in time for a drink and quiet relaxation then to the gate for the flight to Nice. Get to the gate and down the stairs to the waiting bus. Away into the depths of Munich airport, across the main highway and to our waiting smallish size plane - just like the Mildura flights, but this one didn't have propellers. We still get treated to business class and special treatment on this 1 and a bit hour flight - nice.

Fly into Nice over lots of little villages in the hills, then the sea side resorts like Cannes, Nice and Monaco. Wow, opulence at its best on view now. Land and go to baggage collection with trepidation of what may or may not come out here - 3 different flights, half way round the world but guess what, second bag out was one of ours, then the other one was a few later. Happy travellers.....

Been told the bus is good way to get into the city so off we go to the main road and wait. Eventually along comes the number 59 bus. Lots on (remember it is peak time here - 0830). We cram on with bags, etc. Off we go along the beach front (Riviera that is). Get to town and off. Our room might not be available until after noon - if we are lucky - official time in is 1400 so no hassle. Have arranged with apartment manager to drop bags off if room unavailable. We find a cafe on the waterfront and have a coffee and mineral water to pass some time. Eventually find the apartment and ring the Manager. He meets us at the door and offers to keep bags in his room (same building) until the room is ready. In we go, then he looks up details and Lo and behold, our room is ready. We are in.

Room is what was advertised. Looking good. Manager owns 7 apartments in this building and is planning to do 5 more - must be good money in holiday lets..... No matter, happy campers now. Bags in, shorts on, thongs on, sandals on and away we go to explore the sights, with a bit of local information from our man - turns out great insider info.

Do the hop on hop off bus then walk up to the ruined castle that guards Nice. Wander a bit more, then need a beer - yes, took till day 2 to mention that one...... Beach side cafe with lots of very excited Swedish soccer fans - oh, forgot to mention that there is a round of the Euro 2016 cup being played in Nice on wednesday. Inundated with Swedes in yellow t shirts chanting Sverier, etc. and drinking lots.

On the managers recommendations, we pick a restaurant for dinner. It is right in the middle of the restaurant strip and there are a lot of soccer supporters watching tv's of the other Euro cup games that are on. Again the Swedes are everywhere and in full voice. All going well, until half way through our meal, an errant soccer ball lands in Chris's bowl of pasta, upending all the glasses and bottle of wine into my lap. Hmm, not happy. The waiters appear from nowhere, one takes the ball, the others tend to us and try to clean up the mess while apologising. Not really their fault but they move us and offer new food and wine.

Eventually one of the young Swedes comes over looking for his ball. he cops a spray from me and goes back to his table. Chris isn't happy so she goes over to talk to the table. Next thing, one of the elders comes back with her, pays for our meals and drinks and gets his ball back. Turns out he was the one who kicked the ball. New meals arrive but hunger has slipped a bit after all that excitement. We eat a bit then decide to call it a night.

Crowd is also dispersing a bit now. Police presence is pretty high so they are reasonably behaved. Back to the apartment to listen to the noise of the crowd outside. Techno music is pumping and bottles are clanking on the ground but we eventually get to sleep after a busy sort of day. Maybe Day 3 will be a bit less hectic......

Advertisement



22nd June 2016

Good start
Lucky it wasn't a Russian soccer ball. Enjoy every minute.
22nd June 2016

Good start
Lucky it wasn't a Russian soccer ball. Enjoy every minute.
22nd June 2016

Thanks Steve for great writing ...as usual. Glad you've arrived safely, however, I have to say Guy was laughing hard as I read him the soccer ball/dinner saga. We could almost see it!!! Enjoy the rest of Euro 2016 lol

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb