Verdun - Ils ne passeront pas


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Picardy
August 29th 2006
Published: August 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Old City GatesOld City GatesOld City Gates

This was one of the turrets of the old wall in the middle ages, it was one of the major gatehouses.
I decided that of all the historic places I wanted to see in France, and in my life in general, Verdun was very high if not top on the list. In 1916, the area near Verdun, a small town in Picardie became the seat of one of the largest battles in the history of the world.

As the lines stablilized and the infamous trenches became established, the German Chief of Staff, one Erich Von Falkenhayn, decided that the only way to win the war was not through traditional victories at strategic points, but rather through a complete and thourough destruction of the French army. He wrote to the Kaiser explaining this: "The string in France has reached breaking point. A mass breakthrough—which in any case is beyond our means—is unnecessary. Within our reach there are objectives for the retention of which the French General Staff would be compelled to throw in every man they have. If they do so the forces of France will bleed to death."

Verdun was one such objective, as a stronghold that was traditionally important strategically (and had served such a role in past conflicts), Falkenhayn assumed the French Chief of Staff would throw as
City WallsCity WallsCity Walls

A small extant section of the medieval wall.
much of his army in there to ensure that the line held there. More importantly, the population of Germany would allow for a much greater depletion in its army without causing Germany to need to surrender.

The end result was, as Falkenhayn predicted, an egregious loss of life on both sides. While technically a French victory, the world now considers it only a travesty. I was fortunate in that I made it to Verdun on the 90th anniversary of the battle, so the town had many exhibits about it and such. Unfortunately the town was not very accomidating towards people without cars or lots of money, so I missed a lot of the battlefield away from the city. However, I did get to see a lot about the town that I did not know about, such as the remnants of it from the Middle Ages, which were quite interesting.

Another very noteworthy place in Verdun is the medieval cathedral. Parts of it are as old as 900s, and there is a map inside noting every architectual addition and change. It has a cloister included as well, which you can visit. It was very moving. The nearby former bishop's
CanalsCanalsCanals

This is part of the river Meuse that was ran through the canals, originally for milling.
palace is also now the peace museum. Also very much worth seeing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Medieval MillMedieval Mill
Medieval Mill

Some of the remants of buildings on the right hand side of the photo along the far end of the farther canal were the old medieval mills, dating as far back as the 11th century.
SignsSigns
Signs

These signs look like crop circles. J'approve.
Veloland! What a ripoff!Veloland! What a ripoff!
Veloland! What a ripoff!

Ok, so the nice man in the tour office said since we couldn't see the battlefield on the bus, since it filled up for the day, reccomended us to Veloland. He thought they could let us rent un velo (a bike) and we could bike to the battlefield. This was all well and good except they looked like they only sold bikes, and they were closed. So we ended up hiking to as much of the battlefield as we could, but not without a picture of Veloland. My new favourite place.
A cool houseA cool house
A cool house

What a neat house.
FranceFrance
France

This is what I will think about when I think of France. And I will think of France.
Les ComeradesLes Comerades
Les Comerades

Here we are stomping through the countryside.
Verdun from afarVerdun from afar
Verdun from afar

The big church is Notre Dame de Verdun
Battle of Verdun Memorial in VerdunBattle of Verdun Memorial in Verdun
Battle of Verdun Memorial in Verdun

The inscription reads: Enfants de Verdun. Mort pour la France.
L'artillerie L'artillerie
L'artillerie

Old French guns on display at a WWI Military cemetary.


30th August 2006

le merde
Hey guys. You rock. Its too bad the bike place was closed. I suggest you go situtationist and liberate some then give them to some orphans when you leave. The medieval wall is cool, but whats with the fence. Heck, in China they let you poop on the wall. French are so stuck up about their walls. Anyway, your pictures are great. Keep sending them.
3rd September 2006

Wow
I am so jealous. I am so glad you set this up and everyone can follow your journey. When Joe and I finally set up a vacation you will have to help us plan it. Love you. Anne

Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb