Mariazell - Steiermark


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
August 31st 2006
Published: August 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

AlpsAlpsAlps

These are some of the alps. Picture taken from Mariazell
Nested in the alps in central Steiermark, Mariazell is a recreational center and place of religious pilgrimage for not only Austrians but also many Eastern Europeans. It was first established as a church in 1157 by the monk Magnus who, according to legend, was brought to the place by a great miracle.

The Monastery of St. Lambrecht had sent out many monks to the nearby country side, including our protaganist, to spread the faith to the heathen mountain peoples. Magnus was unfortunatly found by a pack of robbers who chased him through the woods. He at last reached despair when he came to a large rock in the road that hindered his pass, and he knew that he was going to be captured for sure. As one last attempt to save himself, he lifted his Madonna, a small lime tree statue of the Virgin Mary to the rock in protest, and much to his suprise the rock parted. And in a truely miraculous fashion, he escaped unharmed as it closed up behind him leaving the robbers on the other side.

To celebrate this wonderful doing, he built a cell (germ. zell) for the madonna (Maria). This became the church
CathedralCathedralCathedral

Picture from a field in the town somewhere.
of Mariazell, in the present day down of Mariazell. Get it?

Anyway, the same Madonna still resides there along with an array of many beautiful and strange tokens and artworks given to the church by people who claim that the Virgin Mary has worked miracles for them.

As you might guess, the town is very religiously oriented, and as I said a major place for pilgrimages. People make pilgrimages to Mariazell constantly. It is a two day walk from Vienna, so its a popular place for the Viennese, but people come from all over central and eastern Europe to see the church. When I was there, a group from Hungry was getting in.

There is also a museum in the town of the traditional way of alpine life. It's quite fascinating, I would reccomend it to anyone, the only thing is you need to get someone to let you into it and give you a tour, as I believe it is mostly open by appointment.

The town is known for the Kraeuterlikoer (herbal liqueurs) that they make, and can be purchased in shots or bottles in many of the stores. I only had a taste of
CathedralCathedralCathedral

What an eclectic cathedral.
the halbsuess (halfway sweet) liqueur, and I can't say it was very spectacular. Oh well. There are plenty of very good tiny tiny pubs in the town. My friends and I (a group of 4 people) comprised of a third of the patrons while we were there, and the only others were regulars, but we filled up the establishment. It was quite cosy and enjoyable and if they have something called a Weisses Traum (white dream) buy it and dont ask questions, its fantasitc. The best part and YES LAUREN BAGBY THIS IS FOR YOU is that they played Ra-Ra Rasputin while I was there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Statues at CathedralStatues at Cathedral
Statues at Cathedral

These guys were great. They were also everywhere.
FieldField
Field

With mountains for added visual splendour.
Old TrainOld Train
Old Train

I never could figure out which train this was, but I know that it was a big deal when Mariazell became reachable by rail, and the old tracks are still open. They are very narrow and apparently the train that runs on them to St. Polten is very slow.
PapasmurfPapasmurf
Papasmurf

Complete with antlers. Just like the original concept art.
Fussganger Radfahrer QuerenFussganger Radfahrer Queren
Fussganger Radfahrer Queren

I dont know what it is about this picture that makes me happy inside.
ErlaufseeErlaufsee
Erlaufsee

You would not believe how many people scuba dive in this lake.
YippeeYippee
Yippee

Evidently, Eric and I are quite amused by the Erlaufsee
BuildingBuilding
Building

Quite fantastic.


1st September 2006

Go Matt, Go
I am really enjoying your tour. But I thought you were supposed to be going to school. This looks like too much fun to be school. I hope you and Eric enjoy the semister as much as you enjoyed Erlaufsee. Keep the pictures coming.
1st September 2006

I want to see the rock
Did you happen to take any pictures of the rock in the road that was split by the Mary idol. Why would there be a big rock in the middle of the road anyway? Did the heathens put it there? If so, did they use a lever or a pully system? These questions must be answered. Go heathens. Oh yes, and who is St. Lambrecht and how far away is the monastery, if it still exists. I will have to agree with your Aunt. You look like you are having way to much fun. I want to see pictures of study carols and fingers swollen from to much writing.
3rd September 2006

Jealousy
Damn, that looks so incredibly beautiful. I wish I could go to Europe. I am intensly jealous now.
7th September 2006

Ra-Ra Rasputin!
YESSSSSSS! our song!!!! Now it's stuck in my head!!! Ra-Ra Rasputin, lover of the russian queen! I'm glad you're having an amazing time!

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb