Europa Day 16


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Toulouse
May 29th 2012
Published: May 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 16

On our way to Toulouse today. Spoke to Alain this morning and he suggested a stopover in a little town called Cahors.

Decide to stop earlier to get a bite to eat and pull off the motorway at a random exit and head for that village. We wind our way through the back roads (with Stella telling us to turn around all the way) and find the village of Uzerche. The village sits in the bowl of the valley with a little river running through it. Spectacular views of houses, palaces, etc. as we look upyin to the hills.

Find a bar that is open (today is a public holiday) and as we walk in the lady asks if we want some food. Realizes we speak English and proceeds to tell us what is on offer. We suggest maybe a croissant with cheese and ham would be nice. She says that the oven needs to warm up so can we wait. No rush so we sit on the verandah watching the locals sit and chat, a group of young people next to us singing and eating and eventually our food arrives - the croissant as promisedwith cheese melted over the top, ham and be heel inside, along with ham and 3 cheeses with bread on each plate.

A bit more than we expected but a really nice meal (so much for a snack). While we were sitting ther we noticed a magnificent castle type building on the hilHoover the river. It used to be a school but was now a reception house - wow....

Fed and surprised by the views and we are off again - and Stella is happy as she has found a new route back towards our next stop. Another small town called Cahros - another suggestion from Alain as a wayside stop from the boring motorway...

Another pretty town but the real find is when we drive into the Lot Valley with many wineries and a beautiful river that we drive along with cliffs on the other side. Eventually we pick a winery on a hill that looks nice -inset that the way you pick wineries?

In we walk and asked in French if we come from Britain or Denmark - strange request but the lady tells us in French about the wines - we eventually ask if she speaks English and we get a cockney accent saying that is easier. We explain we are from Australia and ask about the Danish question.

We have picked a winery that is owned by the Danish royal family. We then notice the pictures on the walls of Frederick and our Mary and the other Danish royals. Very nice wine as well so we purchase some and get pamphlets for Soren to show that even in France we are thinking of him......

Out of here and on to Toulouse (our time with Alain and Josette about to start).

Stella does a great job to direct us through the traffic, motorways and our first real traffic jam. 8 lanes of the motorway trying to get into 1 lane to go to the next motorway - first real time of barging into line with others also barging in beside us. Trying to be polite while assertive but an Audi driver must have recognised our red tourist number plates and even though he has come from behind pushes his way in - more by shove and intimidation. He was a bit concerned coz he even had to go on the shoulder to finally push past us to get in front? Never mind, there will be others as well but main thing is no scratches on our new car...

Finally arrive at our destination and warmly welcomed by Alain and Josette. After much chat and a few drinks we are fed a feast and finally crash around 2300. Very tired but in very nice surrounds for the next few nights.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb