Europa Day 17


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Toulouse
May 29th 2012
Published: May 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 17

After a feast called breakfast we are off into the outer towns around Toulouse with Alain and Josette as tour guides (and drivers).

First stop is Gaillac where we get tourist information and look at the river which is sort of dammed to move water through the hydro system - lots of water rushing over the edge of the dam. Great sight. This is also the name of the wine area (Gaillac) that we are about to explore.

Then on to Castelnaud de Montmirail, a fortified village that is built again on a hill with the main town centre found via a maze of little streets. Very medieval in appearance. Another church - seen and been in more in the 17 days than for a very long time....... This one not so well maintained but very realistic looking and quite charming. Quaint little town square with 2 restaurants. We choose the quieter and have a nice lunch. More walking, then off to the next town, with a target to find the winery of the red we had at lunch - very nice wine.

Find the winery called Domain de Gradde. Greetd first by a big dog, then the old lady of the house - lucky we have Alain to interpret for us. Taste the wine and buy some - cant get over the price - €4,50 each - that is about $5.40......

Then onto Corde, this time a town really on top of a hill - so much that tourist cars aren't allowed and you have to walk up the hill - legs getting a real work out here...... Finally get to the top - a real artist area here - little shops with jewellery, clothes, etc. the view is worth the walk - I think. Magnificent views over the fields below, and a long way away.

Back down on to Albi. As we approach the town (down a big hill) both Alain and Josette are blown away by the sight of the Cathedral - they usually come from the other direction so a first for them as well. And guess what - another church to visit. They are all different so sort of coping OK.

Finally head for home and another feast appears - duck from a can and sausages from a bottle with white beans. And yes, I did eat it and it tasted really nice.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb