A place we had forgotten


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
July 8th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 59.4392, 24.7586

After a cloudy start the sun finally came out and then went in again as a huge Celebrity ship came alongside- appropriately called Celebrity Eclipse!We missed the shuttle bus but it is only a 15 min walk to the centre of the old town through a medieval city gate. We have been to Talinn before but for the life of us could not remember it and no where we saw looked familiar. I love marzipan so we bought some at a little shop which also has a marzipan museum with lots of cartoon figures made of marzipan - very cute.The old town itself has cobbled streets lined with Germanic looking buildings, several churches and towers and lots of bars and restaurants and tourist shops. Do not bother getting the city tour bus as it cannot go down the narrow streets. We stopped for a café on top of part of the medieval wall. To get to this café you have to be reasonably fit as the only way to get to it is via some ancient deep and steep stone steps in a tower with just a chain for a hand rail, but it is worth it.We missed the shuttle bus back so ended up walking back to the ship. Got to use up a few calories for the lunch ahead! At least we were able to sit on the sun deck for once after packing as this is the last day.It was the final day of the Trivia quiz so once again we were pitched against our rivals. We came joint first so it was a good way to end. There were two or three other teams which we always beat. It was time to take all the points we had amassed to the desk to exchange for fantastic prizes! They didn't have the fridge magnets which was the only thing I really wanted so ended up with yet another key ring and a pen- very exciting.There was an early show followed by the Captains farewell do before dinner. We met yet more people who were great fun and we all pigged out on 5 courses as every thing on the menu was very tempting. Another late night but it was the last. We have enjoyed all the evenings dining with some lovely people and also enjoyed all the stops. It has been marred to some extent by the mostly bad weather and not having much time on the pool deck but cant blame Silversea for that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



9th July 2016

Thank you for including us in your blog Tiz. It has been fascinating to follow you. Shame about the weather but sounds as though it hasn't cramped your style too much! I bet you'll sleep for England on return! Julie x
10th July 2016

Looks as though you will have earned your lunch with that climb.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb