Back to Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
October 11th 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.7308, 100.521

Probably the 6th time we have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok. I love being festooned with jasmine and orchids when you arrive, the smiling helpful staff and the feeling that you have stepped back into the time of Hemingway. The rooms are very comfortable with everything you could need and a butler, who comes in every time you leave the room and tidies up,cleans shoes, hangs up clothes and leaves fresh fruit and little fruit drinks. We arrived in the mid afternoon so plenty of time to settle in and pop down to the terrace overlooking the river and have a drink. It is the end of the monsoon season so it is a bit cloudy and very hot but did not rain. We couldn't stay for long as the Manager's cocktail party started at 6.30pm in the Author's Lounge once frequented by Hemingway. We always have timed our stay to be here on a Tuesday to coincide with this cocktail party as it is a great way to circulate and meet people ( as well as having free drinks and canapes!). We met a lovely American couple with whom we later had dinner on the terrace so it was a good start to the trip.The following morning we had a sumptuous breakfast on the terrace after which we caught the local river ferry, which is always precarious in that it is a quick hop off and on but is a lovely way to see the sights along the river and only costs 15 baht each. Having seen the majority of the sights on previous visits we got off at the 14th stop to see the Phrasumane Fort. This is a very old building but you cannot go inside so we just walked around it and also through the adjacent Park. After this we strolled back to the river and had a beer in a bar overlooking the river until the boat arrived to take us back. Later we sat by the pool and had a light bite for lunch. We were the only people by the pool as it clearly is not high season so very attentive waiters were constantly bringing us iced water, little scoops of ice cream and anything we required. It was pleasant to sit out as the sky was overcast so no sunburn but it was still hot. A few spots of rain later ended the afternoon.We could go out and find a restaurant somewhere this evening but we have an early start tomorrow so may be we will try the hotel's Chinese restaurant which we know is good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



12th October 2016

Looks fabulous. Glad you're exercising in between nibbles n dribbles. Always fancied a sporting tut tut grand prix in Bangkok. Have fun Peter
12th October 2016

Hope you have a lovely time.
12th October 2016

Wow sounds amazing But I am in shock Never seen Stefan s skin before Xxxxxxxxxxxxcc
12th October 2016

Never without a Kindle or a glass of wine is a very good philosophy for travel. Enjoy.
13th October 2016

Is that what they call a "lazy boy"....

Tot: 0.382s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb