The Jewish Quarter


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
December 1st 2008
Published: February 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi Friends and Family,

Today was the day of getting to grips with the Jewish Quarter.

Its one of the most interesting sections of the city and we very much wanted to do it justice.

First of all we left our apartment hotel and then walked to the Old Town which led directly to the Jewish Quarter and what a Quarter!

But first, the Staromeska Clock and we could actually see it work its magic without the hordes of gawping tourists! We also managed to go to to the Czech Xmas without having to slide through the crowd and could actually sample some of the goodies.

I showed Frank where I used to work at the uni. You could still see the classrooms but the space below was pretty precious and had been sold for dollars and now had designer items nearby. There was no financial crash here mate!

But first, a little break at the Opera House made after the design of elegant Austrian coffee houses for pots of tea, apple strudel and yummy ice-cream. Oh wow!

The Jewish Quarter was so intersting and filled with lots of French businesses!

Churches and Synagogues laid side by side including the cemetary where many Jews also laid.

I have no idea whether businesses were given back to the descendants of those who perished but I must tell you that this Quarter was filled with goldsmiths and the very latest designer shops of exquisute standing. If you wanted to spend your money, here was the place to do it!

We wanted to have dinner at the "Restaurant of Golem" but by 20:00, it was looking rather dead so we carried on into the city bypassing the Main Train Station. It had a fantastic facade but for now it was closed for renovations.

Shame!

We wandered back into the city all the while looking for the buidings of "Amadeus" which was filmed in Prague.

We found them!

We also found a tout who led us to a restaurant that we thought was an original Czech feature and turned out to be a fake Irish bar filled with Japanese tourists! We had a drink and the day was saved by a chat to the tout who happened to be a struggling actor by profession and was delighted to speak English and have his phot taken with us!



Additional photos below
Photos: 72, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb