Planning a 3-Day Getaway to Split, Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
July 6th 2019
Published: July 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post



Split is the second largest town of Croatia. Being located on the Dalmatian coast, it is known for its beaches. The city has been built around the famous Diocletian Palace. Once you enter the fortress complex, you will find yourself surrounded by bars, restaurants, and shops, all in harmony with the city's ancient walls. There is no shortage of activities and places to visit in and around the city.

If you are planning to not waste even a single minute struggling with the traffic there, immediately rent a car after you have landed (I recommend checking the rates on Auto Europe and Kemwel first – I’ve found them to be the most competitive).

If you are someone who is visiting the city of Split for the first time and you are not sure what to do once you land there, this article will provide you with the perfect ideas.

Day 1: Head Straight to the Diocletian Palace




Diocletian Palace, the nucleus of the city is literally how the city came into existence. The Palace complex was built in the fourth century and you will be amazed by how beautifully it has been preserved to this date. The massive structure not only contains the palace alone but also the various buildings that were built around it to serve as a residence for the military. The whole fortress-like complex is spread around 30, 000 square meters. The Roman ruins of the Diocletian Palace have now been occupied by the local people, so you will find a lot of shops, restaurants, and bars along with residential areas. If you are a Game of Thrones fan, you will probably recognize the palace's presence in various of its scenes.

Day 2: Visit the Krka National Park




Krka National Park is located along the Krka River an hour up from Split. It’s a large natural pool surrounded by as many as seventeen waterfalls. The Skradinski waterfall is a major waterfall of the area. It is the largest waterfall out of all the seventeen waterfalls and the experience of swimming in the surrounding water is just different from any other. The pool along with the waterfalls is enclosed by beautiful greenery. A natural trail also leads is a way to the Krka Monastery. You will never have enough time to devour the essence of this place!

Day 3: Visit the Ivan Mestrovic Gallery




If you are an art freak, you should definitely visit the Ivan Mestrovic Gallery. The Gallery holds the largest collection of Mestrovic’s works, one of the most prominent sculptors, writer, and architect of the 20th century. it not only contains sculptures, designs, and sketches, but also architectural plans and furniture! Initially a residence of the artist, designed by himself, the monumental building later became a museum dedicated to Mestrovic and his exemplary artwork. The simple yet beautiful marble villa opens out on to a landscaped garden. The combination of the greenery of the garden, the statues rooted to it and the view of the sea ahead makes it a masterpiece of landscape architecture. The gallery houses as many as 600 drawings and 200 sculptures, carved in wood, marble, and bronze.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.895s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.3464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb