Planning the Perfect Family Road Trip in the UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 6th 2019
Published: July 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post



Are you planning a family trip to the UK? Lucky you! The UK is a fantastic place to explore and there is a lot to see and do … from fascinating historic and cultural attractions to charming green landscape and quaint villages and towns.

Don't limit yourself to London! Take a road trip to many different parts of the UK. Traveling around the UK in a private vehicle will give you a lot more flexibility than taking the train. After all, you can decide where and when to stop and exactly how long to stay. If you’re coming from the US or another country where you’re used to driving on the right side of the road, driving in the UK is also an exciting bucket-list item as you’ll navigate your vehicle from the opposite side of the road.

Consider renting a van rather than a car for your road trip around the UK. This will give the entire family lots of room to sit back and relax as they watch the charming landscape pass beside them. It will also give you a lot more room to bring along your luggage! While it may cost a few extra bucks, the added comfort and improved morale are well worth the expense.

Make sure to properly and thoroughly plan the itinerary for your road trip before arriving in the UK. And follow the tips below to ensure that your vacation is a memorable one for the entire family!


• Make sure you are well-rested before you do any driving. Remember you'll have to get used to significantly different traffic and driving rules. It could be dangerous to try to take this on when you're feeling tired. Just use common sense and keep your family safe!
• Book your accommodations for the beginning and end of your trip well in advance. You can make arrangements for accommodations for the stops along the way a day or less in advance (depending on the specific establishment. Make sure to always have back-up plans in case the one you hope for falls through.
• When making your itinerary, do your research and make sure you are allowing enough time for each stop along the way. Look into the specific attractions and monuments available in each place and think about how long you will want to enjoy them. Consult with the whole family while making these plans.
• Think about enjoying some picnics during your road trip. Enjoy some of the many lovely green spaces perfect for eating outdoors in the UK. Bring along lots of British snacks to enjoy on the road, too. And always make sure to have water on hand.
• Learn all the practical information you'll need to have a stress-free vacation in the UK, such as relevant facts about money, weights and measures, and shop hours.
• Find out about specifically kid-friendly attractions and things to do and try to include some or all of them in your itinerary. Just a few examples of places your kids might enjoy include Bewilderwood in Norfolk, Legoland in Berkshire, the Warner Brothers Studio Tour in Hertfordshire, the National Space Centre in Leicestershire, Warwick Castle in Warwickshire, Alton Towers in Staffordshire, and Folly Farm Adventure Park and Zoo in Pembrokeshire.

Have a Wonderful Time in the UK




Follow the tips above and have a UK vacation that the family will never forget!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.588s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.2452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb