DAY 64 SPLIT


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
July 18th 2023
Published: July 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Stepping up to the plate ... not a problem.
With the weather forecast being in the negative with regards to comfort we closed the door of our accommodation behind us at 5.30am to climb Marjan Hill and reach its peak, Telegrin. With over 800 stone constructed steps and sections of gently rising flat path the climb proved to be well within our capabilities.



The best part was striking up conversation with a retired Croatian photographer, originally from Zagreb, who had worked for a number of years in Denmark but was now happy to stay healthy by walking his dogs. He was very interested in Australia, particularly opal mining in Coober Pedy. I filled him in, having only last year visited there. The Kimberley region of WA, crocodiles and Uluru plus gold mining were his other interests. The volunteer lady was wonderful too, doing the climb every morning. She was proud to tell us that her sons are proficient English speakers, as were both of our new friends.

The 360 view from the peak was definitely worth the climb.



We caught breakfast at the base, hugged the shade and made our way back closing the door from the inside of our accommodation at 10.15am.

Marjan Hill with its peak, Telegrin at 178m only.
It was heating up fast.





Stayed in the air conditioned room reading, editing photos and organising the next part of our trip. We readied ourselves for a final night in Split.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Loving the walk.


Getting there ... Croatian flag flying high.


The unshaven, severely sun spotted face of a bloke enjoying life.


Strong as a bull Jane, ready to tackle the final stretch of 314 steps.


"Come on Belotts. We haven't got all day", says the one who is primed and ready.


These steps were at the beginning.


Looking down.


The walk varied continually.


Water break.


St Nicholas church first commissioned in 1219 by Split Rako and his wife Elisabeth. The Romanesque bell tower was added later. Mass is only held in the church on the feast of St Nicholas every 6 December.



Varied surfaces.


The retired photographer and pet owner with keeping Marjan clean volunteer. This was a great meet up.


Continually checking if I'm alright ... bloody hell!!


Cruise ship just arrived.


Jane talking dogs.


View over Split waterfront.


The stadium is clearly visible.


Across the bay. Reminds me of Table Mtn, Cape Town.


Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb