DAY 63 DUBROVNIK-SPLIT


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
July 18th 2023
Published: July 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Waiting for the ferry to Split on a very calm morning ... 5.30am
The complete opposite to yesterday. We knew it was coming … a very early rise, dress quickly, vacate and drag the luggage up the hill to a taxi, all before 5.15am, to get to the port for the ferry to Split. We had to be early as the ticket had a warning that it was the passenger’s responsibility to find the correct pier and hence the correct ferry. We succeeded. It wasn’t long before we were joined by hundreds of others.

It was an interesting trip along the coast and between islands to see the use of land for agriculture on the slopes of the mountain sides which virtually ran down to the sea. The ferry disembarked and embarked passengers at its 4 island stops. The sea was calm throughout and the wind of little consequence. It was only between the island of Brac and Split that of the numerous yachts we had seen it was only in those waters that the sails were up. All the others were using motors. We are sailing this coast and visiting the islands in about 4-5 days’ time so hopefully the wind picks up.

With Jane’s map reading skills we found our

Well on our way ... Korcula Island.
accommodation without too much trouble. The temperature was more than warm so the less time in the sun the better. Having said that, we did venture out for a few hours to explore as much as we could, but the heat did ‘slow-us-down’. It didn’t take long for my shirt to be ‘stained’ in body moisture. We always return with water bottles empty. Our exploration took us through, across, around, in and out and between the Diocletian Palace. It has 4 towers and 4 gates. It was built in the 4th century. We also walked around the old city which is right next to the Palace. The heat within the Palace and old city was stifling. After a short break for a purchased cold drink on the waterfront we headed to our accommodation for the needed cold shower and rest.

We concluded the day with an evening out on the Riva (waterfront/riviera) which was absolutely teeming with people, the most we’d seen anywhere in Europe so far. Restaurants were filled, paths and squares were full, edges of the sea wall were crammed, and humans of all ages were out having a good time no matter what they were doing.

Road, hugging the mountainside.


Much was experienced and enjoyed today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Hvar Island.


Hvar Island.


Departing Hvar Island after a stopover.


Bol, on the Island of Brac.


Landuse.


Split.


Jane heading ashore.


Part of the wall of the Diocletian Palace


Great care is needed not to slip on the stone floor throughout the Palace


The silver gate.










Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb