Exploring the Indie - not just any Port in a (Perfect) Storm!!


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders » Zeebrugge
August 30th 2018
Published: September 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mini cruise from Southampton to Rotterdaam and Zeebrugge


The final port of call on this mini cruise was the port of Zeebrugge. This port is on the north Belgian coast in West Flanders. It is not possible to walk in the port area therefore a shuttle bus had been provided at a premium of €10 per person for one return journey. The shuttle dropped off in nearby Blankenberge where it was possible to take a train to Bruges, a historic market town that lies only 15km south. If Bruges wasn’t your thing, you could explore the narrow streets or stroll down the wide promenade of Blankenberge but from experience, even on the mildest of days, there can be a chill wind that whips off the North Sea and across the sea front. We were not sure why one is not allowed to walk out of the dock estate. We have been here three times before and walked off every time. Last time we walked off the ship, and followed the marked footpath out of the dock gates then caught a tram to the even smaller town of Knokke!! Perhaps it is because we DIDwalk across the dock estate that they are no longer allowing passengers to make their own way in to the town.

‘It is with regret that due to a few fool hardy individuals who took it upon themselves to walk across a busy and operational dock whilst containers were being loaded and off-loaded all around them (the one with the beard and glasses wasn’t even wearing a hard hat!) that with immediate effect it is prohibited for any cruise passenger to walk anywhere within the confines of the dock estate…!!’

As there was nothing special either of us wanted to see, and saving €20 in to the bargain, we decided to stay on board. After all we were here on our own mission. To experience and explore a ship of this size. Now was our opportunity as the ship would be relatively empty for most of the day.

We haven’t been out on the pool deck and above on this mini cruise as during the peak times we were a bit worried as to what sights might behold us!! Now 80%!p(MISSING)ercent of the passengers were either on an organised excursion or just off exploring the West Flanders coast line, Roisin and I ventured up to the mysterious deck 13. On stepping on to the deck we were immediately overshadowed by the rock-climbing wall. This is a 30m vertical wall with a few over hangs and coloured grips to help navigate your way. Although every necessity is taken to ensure health and safety reigns supreme, this is still manned by a member of staff, if not anything else but to marshal the queue to ensure no one hogs the safety harness and everyone gets a fair bite of the cherry. One slip and it’s game over. One minute you’re biting the cherry and the next, biting the dust. I don’t mean you fall to an untimely death, I just mean you have to give the next person in the queue a go!! For those who do lose their grip and fall, the harness is attached to a safety line that works on an inertia system so the line slows down as you descend to the deck.

Adjacent to the climbing wall is a feature known as the Perfect Storm. This is a series of two water slides, three stories high. One slide is known as Typhoon and the other, Cyclone although I couldn’t distinguish between either. The slides twists and turns and some sections are also translucent so whilst sliding down the tube at speed, you will, for a micro second, see how high up you actually are. I couldn’t really see where the Perfect Storm ended. I wasn’t aware on any particular pool in which the thrill-seekers were deposited. The water slides could have been positioned over the side of the ship for all I knew. After all, I stood there for some time and I don’t recall anyone reappearing for a second ride!!

At the rear of the deck, I found the wave maker known as the Flow rider. The advert shows a ripped and bronzed young man surfing a board against the flow of the water. In reality, the best one could hope for was to lie on your stomach on the surf board, grip onto the sides and when the force of the water starts to push against the rim of the board and when the wipe out does inevitably happen, hope that it is a dignified crash, you don’t manage to swallow too much salt water and you get up and fist pump as if that’s what you meant to happen!!

The <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Pièce de la Résistance, two decks above was the impressive looking Sky Pad. This spherical yellow ball was out of bounds from observers but I understood it to be a virtual bungee jump experience. Having since googled this attraction the interior looks nothing more than a glorified bouncy castle. Two bungee cords are attached to each side of your waist and you bounce up and down on a large trampoline. However, I now have it on good authority that the secret item that makes it such a popular, fun attraction is the virtual reality helmet that can transport the participant to another time, place or even planet. Looking at some our fellow passengers that we have encountered in the short time we’ve been on board, they don’t need a virtual reality helmet, they look and some even sound like they’re already there!!

Lunch was a quiet affair. We took the opportunity to eat at a reasonable time (12:30) and had the pick of tables in the Windjammer buffet. Some people had started to trickle back from their outings but the buffet was still reasonably empty. Whilst eating we were approached by an Italian waiter who was stationed at Giovanni’s Table, one of several speciality restaurants on the Indie. Speciality restaurants require a cover charge. You may think: why pay a cover charge when food is free in the Main Dining Room and the buffet? These make a pleasant change if you wish to celebrate a special occasion. The ambience is nicer than the hustle and bustle of the common (some more common than others!) dining areas. It so happens that today was our wedding anniversary so the first thing on my to do list this afternoon was to make a reservation. Our young waiter has saved me the wear and tear on my shoes!! He asked if we had considered visiting Giovanni’s Table on this trip. Before either of us could answer, he continued: ‘Tonight we have 40%!d(MISSING)iscount and unlimited wine’

‘40%!y(MISSING)ou say?’ asked Roisin

‘Unlimited wine, you say?’ I added!!

‘Yes, sign us up. How much is the cover?’

‘$28 each then less 40%!’(MISSING) replied the waiter

‘Unlimited wine, you say?’ I repeated.

‘Si!’
Inside the SkypadInside the SkypadInside the Skypad

Photo courtesy You Tube

‘It’s our anniversary today’, Roisin said.

‘Congratulations madam. Sir. What time you like?’

‘Half six?’

‘Very good, sir. Half six it is then.

By 2pm, the ship seemed to be practically back to full strength. Just in time for the silent disco. This is where everyone in the room is given a set of headphones. They then dance to the music (1967 – Sly and the family Stone!!) and for onlookers they just see a bunch of people displaying a wide variety of moves from the shuffling of feet, side to side and gentle swaying to the full thrashing of the arms and double spins consistent with the onset of an epileptic fit. The Royal Promenade was packed with 250 headset wearing punters. Silent disco? But for whom? The disco was far from silent. I was at the other end of the ship listening to a fascinating seminar on the history of the lawnmower and all we could hear was 250 souls bellowing out Living on a Prayer that resonated throughout the entire ship. I don’t think the participants understood the concept of a silent disco. I’m trying to concentrate on learning about when rotary blades became popular and took over from the cylinder blade and I suddenly can’t get Jon Bon Jovi out of my head!!

The speciality restaurant was excellent. Anti Pasta dish of Octopus followed by a pasta dish (no compulsory!!) then we both had the filet mignon cooked to perfection. An Italian meal wouldn’t be complete without desert consisting of a generous helping of tiramisu. In between the main and desert, the waiters brought out an anniversary cake and proceeded to sing Happy Anniversary which suspiciously sounded like Happy Birthday but substituted the word Birthday for Anniversary. Luckily it was still fairly early so the embarrassment factor was confined to only about a dozen other diners.

The shows have been memorable on this mini trip. Firstly, the unexpurgated version of Grease and tonight we were treated to the Take That Experience. The act opened with the current three members Gary, Mark and Howard. Robbie appeared and did a few of his solo songs then Jason joined the band on stage and the five original members took us back in time to their heyday in the 90s. Gary Barlow has an over the top Mancunian accent, considering the original is from Frodsham, a town in Cheshire thirty miles away from Manchester. He sounded more like he should have been a roadie for Oasis than a member of one of the top selling boy bands ever. Despite that they were very entertaining (although only slightly lookie-likie) and the audience were captivated when asked to clap in time to the rhythm or switch on one’s camera light and wave them above one’s head.

There were only five normal trivias during these three days. We attended four and won two of them. Not bad considering the evening trivias seemed a free for all and there was standing room only! Admittedly most of the participants were pissed so perhaps not the achievement we thought after all!!

So, another cruise comes to an end. We docked in Southampton on Friday 31st August 2018 and drove the 250 miles home.

At this stage our minds usually start referring to work. What have I got on next week when I get back? Have I received a response to that important email yet? How many emails are in fact going to greet me on my return? Is the fan still relatively clean and in working order or has anything hit it that will need to be sorted out pronto? Now our minds our turning to different thoughts. Must remember to stop off at the Late Shop to get some milk!! Have to remember to order more foreign currency from ASDA!! Must get the washing and ironing done and repack before our next cruise!! Next stop Alaska coming to a blog near you soon!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



3rd September 2018

Another great read
Really enjoyed reading about your escapades so far, the blog is funny and insightful, always a great addition to the day.

Tot: 0.316s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb