Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
August 8th 2015
Published: August 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We have to confess to being slow off the mark this morning. Walking around in this heat may be taking its toll. But we did eventually get out and see a lot of Vienna, and we were really impressed with what we saw. This is a town that loves the arts....Brits might call it posh! The street performers here prefer harps and violins over guitars and accordions. There are incredible buildings and parks in the center of town that are very impressive. We walked from our hotel through the middle of town to the Rathaus, which is the town hall for the state and town of Vienna. I didn't really expect the route to be anything noteworthy but it was very special....it seemed that there was another stunning building, park or square around every corner, and honestly by the time we got to the Rathaus we were getting a little blasé about the surroundings. But the Rathaus and the Burgtheatre right across the road were a perfect setting for a cold drink in the hot weather.

From there we walked east past Paliament to the Natural History Museum where we went inside hoping to cool off for a while. The museum was good but generally a little too serious for the kids. We did find a fun picture morphing display and attached you'll find a photo of Carys as Paranthropus which is some kind of pre-human being.

Next stop was a tour of the Spanish Riding School, famous around the world for its performing white horses capable of prancing and leaping in unique ways. There was no performing to be seen at that hour but following Uncle Andy's suggestion we did take the excellent tour of the arena and stables, where we got to meet the horses at close quarters. I'm sure the prancing is very impressive but the farting horses were really quite something! So much for the posh Viennese culture.

Last morning in Vienna tomorrow before we take the train to Prague where we will stay for three nights.






Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



8th August 2015

Ashes
Yow Summers - loving the blog as always. Big love to the family. We just won the Ashes which is a big deal......so a happy household. Got Uncle Ferg staying with us which is always good. Looking forward to Vienna update - going to listen to Ultravox right now.... Looking forward to the next post funsters - JJF&C XXXX (+UF) work that out kids

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb