Sidesplitting Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
September 17th 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our day with the family in Salzburg was great and full of food. We started with breakfast on the terrace of the fluffy cats, admiring the beautiful countryside all around with the green, green fields that stretched on forever and the tree covered hills that headed skyward. There were even a couple of highland cows to entertain us.

We met up with the rest of the relatives and headed to a hillside inn just out of Elsbethen for lunch. It had wonderful views over the city and surrounding areas, but not so wonderful singers of folk music. Thankfully the food was fantastic and we tried more of the local grub: blutwurst, sauerkraut, cheeseypasta stuff, strudel, topfenstrudel, straum... it just kept coming.

Spent the afternoon exploring the Festung, the Fortress above Salzburg and getting a brief history lesson from my cousin Martin. Its a beautiful city and we picked a great day for the clear views across and out to Germany.

In town we bought Mozartkugeln from the original master chocolate maker and visited Fanny's family Apoteke (pharmacy) which is the oldest in Salzburg. Its really cool and has all the old natural remedies as well as the modern pills, all of which they make up themselves (in the witch kitchen!). We then headed to Salzburg's mini Oktoberfest for a beer before heading for dinner.

Dinner was at the Augustiner Brauhaus where we had yet more traditional drinks and food, including a beer-fanta mix (for me). If there is one thing that is clear about this place it is that they certainly know how to eat! We've tried more dishes and eaten more than we have for weeks and its only been one day!!

Tomorrow its off up to Spittal in the mountains where my grandmother grew up. We're really looking forward to it, but from the way we've been treated the last day or so I fear for our waistlines!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb