Genug! Zu viel Essen!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Carinthia
September 22nd 2006
Published: September 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

All my fears were completely well founded! We spent almost 5 days up in Spittal and pretty much all we did was eat, drink, and speak bad attempts at the local dialect of German, or 'mit hand und fuß' as my grandmother's step sister Gertie would say.

We did manage to get out and visit some of the nearby villages such as Kaning, where my grandmother was born, the very cute St Oswald and Bad Kleinkirchheim where we had lunch and visit the family graves, and the beautiful Millstättersee which shimmered in the sunlight as we drove by. The landscape is wonderful - the hills are steep and green, the houses adorned with flowers, and the roads narrow and windy, barely fitting on the hillsides. The family were typically crazy, full of life, and lovers of fine food. In fact I'm sure they didnt like us as all they wanted to do was stuff us full of strudel, topfen, speck and käse. It was nuts, but lots of fun.

On Thursday Corb set off to climb Goldeck, a nearby mountain which becomes a ski field in winter. It took him only 3 hours and 20minutes from town to the top. Took Mum and I less than an hour but we took the cable car! The views from the top were magnificent, we could see across the lake and the tops of the alps all around. Stopping for a glass of wine on what almost felt like the top of the world was pretty cool.

So next its back to Salzburg to meet yet more relatives and hang out at the mini Oktoberfest in the centre, should be good (Jo, jo). But then, we really have no idea 'Was wir gonna machen!' (Gotta love the deutsch-lish!)

ps: for the cousins of mine: we had canadles with plums, how cool is that??

Advertisement



23rd September 2006

Yummmmm
Yummmm Canadles - Im jealous now!!

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb