Berchtesgaden and Eagle's Nest with some Salzburg Included


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
July 25th 2019
Published: July 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our second day is Salzburg started out with us leaving Salzburg and traveling to Germany to the Berchtesgaden region for a visit to Hitler's Eagle's Nest. It was a beautiful sunny day to journey into the Bavarian Alps and climb to a mountain top. On the way we passed several locations where parts of the Sound of Music were filmed, including the bridge the children danced across singing and the home where the outside scenes. In the photo you can see the wall alongside which Maria sang the song "I Have Confidence In Me."

Upon reaching Eagle's Nest we walked through a tunnel to reach the elevator to the top. After a few minutes for our guide to talk about the building we had time to explore the mountain on which Eagle's Nest is perched. A set of steps led to the top where a cross has been placed. The view of the Bavarian Alps from there was stunning. The highest mountain that can be seen from here is actually the second highest mountain in Germany. Down below is a lake and communities dotting the valley.

On our ride back to Salzburg we passed a salt mine, now not in operation, that gives tours so one can see how the salt mines that gave Salzburg it's name, operate. Arriving back by lunch time, we headed to the weekly market to get a sausage for lunch and then we wondered back into the old section of town for a little shopping.

Tomorrow we move on to Switzerland via Innsbruck.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb