On to Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg
July 24th 2019
Published: July 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today was a travel day as we boarded our bus to head west to Salzburg. We started out traveling to Krems to board a riverboat to travel along part of the Danube River. We passed grape vineyards in Wachau Valley and passed the town of Durnstein where high on the hill is Durnstein Castle the place where Richard the Lionhearted was held captive. We disembarked at Weissenkirchen joining our bus driver once again to continue our journey.

Just outside of Salzburg we stopped at Mondsee to visit the church where the wedding scene in the Sound of Music was filmed. The interior of St. Michael's Church is quite beautiful. We also got to see the beautiful Lake Mondsee.

After arriving at Salzburg, we got settled in our room and then proceeded on a walking tour of Salzburg. We walked through Maribell Gardens where the Do Re Mi song was filmed. Along the way we also passed the homes where Mozart was born and where he lived when older. Nearby is the home of Christian Doppler, who discovered the Doppler Effect of sound waves. Throughout Salzburg are small brass plaques in the sidewalk that are called "stumbling blocks". These blocks remember individuals from Salzburg who were killed in the Holocaust. We passed through the shopping area where the signs for the various shops were old metal designs. Even McDonald's had to conform with a similar sign. Passing too many places to name we ended the walk at St. Peter's Shiftskeller, reported to be the oldest restaurant in Europe, for dinner. I find that I can't pass by a clock or sundial without taking it pictures as there are many different ones in the old cities of Europe.

Tomorrow we will travel to Berchtesgaden and Hitler's Eagles Nest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb